six spot goby died

michelle

Reefing newb
Well, my sandsifter goby didn't make it. I found him on the bottom of the tank with 2 hermit crabs crawling over him. I am pretty sure he died from starvation, but I know my blenny didn't help any the way he chased the goby around.
I am wondering if there is any type of sandsifter that the blenny may be more receptive to.
I really liked the sixspot, and need something that might help with the algae growth in my sand
Any help is appreciated.

I know you only had your goby for a short.Weigh the cons and pros of sand sifting gobies and decide if they are for you.Yes,the make the sand nice and clean but they also consume the copepods(fauna) that consumes detritus.All the watchmen gobies are small and have similar shape to the one you once had.The only sand sifting gobies that wouldn't be threatened by the blenny are the large sleeper gobies.Those really need larger systems to survive.

Consider a variety of snails that stir the sand bed and consume algae.Queen conchs,fighting conchs,nassarius and ceriths will help some.Sorry,I'm not a fan of any animals in a reef system that consumes the beneficial fauna.Those include sand sifting sea stars and gobies.

Back