Sixline Wrasse

Ryan

Reefing newb
Just put one of these guys in the tank. What do I need to look for in these guys? He seems to hang at the bottom on the sand. Not sure if this is normal or not. My lfs told me to watch him and don't let him fool ya because they like to play dead on the bottom at first. Got him some mysis shrimp for now. Haven't fed him yet either. Thought I'd let him get used to the clowns first. Any suggestions?

Give him a few days to adjust. Mine hid for the first day. Ever since then he's been swimming all over the tank.

When I first got mne he quickly swam for the rock and stayed hidden for a day. Mine never layed on the sandbed. Is he over the sand or lying on it?Just keep a eye on him.

Right now he looks like he's laying between an overhang of live rock and sand. Just enough space for him to sit there hidden. I think he feels safe there. I think I will be up all night....

He found a place to hide. He should venture out a little tomarrow. If he's hungry he may come out when you feed your other fish.

I would leave him. You poking at him will only stress him out. How do you know he's stuck? He's probably trying to hide. Are your lights out?

Whenever you add a new fish you should turn the lights off. They seem to settle in better and less stress.

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

God I feel stupid!!!! And bad!!!!!

He swam up this little hole in the live rock and the only thing you could see was his tail.

:frustrat::frustrat:

Ryan,

Like others said, just let him be.
Wrasses are very strange fish. At night, they will try to find a hole or sandbed to sleep in. Most wrasses will coat themselves in a white-mucous cocoon while they are sleeping.....he will look dead, but this is a defense mechanism while they sleep.

When the lights go out, I never see my bluehead fairy wrasse. He hides in between some tonga rockwork and turns white! In the morning, he is swimming all over.

Just give him some time to adjust. A wrasse will exhibit ich if you mess with him too much and don't let him adjust.

Keep us updated.

oh man.... stay on the forum if you can tonight. I'm certainly worried about him. And my wife is about to kill me. I have to be honest here, I tried shaking the rock a bit to get him out before I told you guys this. Very strange if you ask me. My clowns are acting like, "what the heck is going on here"! Lights are off.

Arrrggghhh!!! :grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble:

Go to bed!!

He'll be fine.................

unless you keep screwing with him. :mrgreen:

My 6-line is the only fish in the 10g tank. He sleeps in a black PVC 90* elbow. He makes a cocoon from some white mucous....kinda like a sleeping bag. They swim up in holes and cracks. Totally normal for them to lay down in a crack or on a ledge. They hide when stressed.........don't you?

Leave him alone.

They naturally swim in and out of all the rock holes and cracks. They prey on copepods and small crustaceans. Having an aquascape with plenty of holes, caves, crevices and ledges is the best environment for him. Thats his natural environment. Think about how small a 6-line wrasse is compared to most reef inhabitants. They get MAX 3 or 4" in the wild. Not exactly intimidating in the big ocean. They are naturally skittish and have adapted to envision the rocks as a place of shelter. Lots of large groupers, lion fish, sharks etc... on a reef. The wrasse has no defense mechanism to fend off predators. They have evolved to swim fast and stay small enough to fit in the smallest crack or hole when spooked.

He's doing what comes natural to him. He's in a new home. He's scared. He doesn't know you aren't trying to eat him. so, he's hiding and he's FREAKED OUT.

LEAVE HIM ALONE. If he dies, then he dies. But don't HELP him die. Leave him alone so his heart rate will drop below 500 and he might survive the night.

Did I mention that you should leave him alone? And turn off the lights. Go to bed. Leave him alone.

Last edited:
Back