Size Of Cleanup Crew?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I'm having some mild hair algae outbreaks on a couple rocks. The 3 reg leg hermits I have won't touch it. Probably too much other food in the tank to bother with "salad" everyday.

My tank is 30g. Here is a list of my cleaning crew:
Snails:
14 astreas (sp?)
4 margarite
2 nessarious

Crabs:
3 red leg hermits

Fish:
1 orange diamond goby
I used to call him a diamond watchman goby. I've recently seen this particular species referred to as the orange diamond goby. I don't know if thats the same thing--just 2 different names. Either way, he's a sand sifting fool.

I called the LFS and they told me I need 1 crab per gallon. :shock: Thats 30 friggin' crabs! Seams like a lot. I was thinking about getting some blue leg hermits because they are supposed to do a better job on the algae.

I do not want a sea hair. They get too big. I have a ton of rocks in this 30g tank (61lbs) and some of it is rather precariously balanced. I have goiven my tank the ole "shake" test to see if anything tumbles down--so far all is good. But I'm afraid the weight of a larger sea hair will start toppling rocks.

No turbos either! Little friggin' bulldozers! Knocking over rocks and uprooting corals. I don't know if you all remember--but I had that great big snail a few months ago. Never did get a positive ID on it.

SnailTopc.JPG

That thing was like 2" or 2.25" diameter and it was knocking stuff over--crawling right over the top of my zoas and mushrooms. I gave it to a guy who had a 300g tank.

What would be your recommendation? Think small. Lots is okay--as long as they stay small.

Skip the crabs. I don't think they will do much for hair algae, and they will just end up killing your snails.

The only things I would recommend would be turbo snails or sea hares. Which you've already ruled out. There isn't much else I can think of that will do the job. You can get small turbos. Or get some bigger ones and take them back to the store once they've done their job.

Foxface rabbitfish are known to sometimes eat hair algae, as are tangs, but you can't have either of those fish in a 30 gallon tank.

Sorry, I can't think of anything else...

I found a LFS that has tiny blue leg hermits in stock. They are 1/4" size. I doubt those can kill my snails. Most of my snails are 1" or 1.25" in size.

What do ya think about that?

Four or five of them working in a team will have no problem killing a snail. Mine team up on the snails.

The blue legs are probably the safest of all the hermits, but I still doubt that they will take care of hair algae.

I am done with hermits, period! I love my turbos, period. They have never knocked anything over in my tank and they do an amazing job at cleaning. I miss my seahare also, they are so freaking cool to watch.
RC do you glue down your corals?

:shock: Well, that rules out the blue legs.

My reg legs are as big as the snails. They've never killed any snails. Are the red legs more passive or reef safe than blue legs?

I guess my next step is a toothbrush. I may take a few of the rocks out and scrub them.

I haven't glued my corals down. I just put the frag or plug in the tank and wait for them to spread out and attach to the larger rocks. I usually wedge the frag plug into a crack or a hole in a rock to try and keep them set in place.

Hawk--how big are your turbos? How big is the tank? I might have to try and find some small ones. They can always be traded later.

The blue legged hermits will do nothing to hair algae.I would at least look for small Mexican Turbos otherwise manual removal is your only choice.

avoid crabs of all types. I have some red-legs in my 125 and they are mean as hell. I have been slowly taking them out. I may keep one or two just to have them eat up fish crap, but that is it. Turbos is where it is at!

-Doc

remind me, what or who is Jefferson Davis? I apologize for my lack of memory, I have too much stuffed into a small brain to begin with.

-Doc

ah yes. now I do remember. I am getting old. I imagine I will be in a rest home by 40.

-Doc

ah yes. now I do remember. I am getting old. I imagine I will be in a rest home by 40.

-Doc

I'll tell ya what Doc,
We'll sit out rocking chairs right in front of a big reef pic.
Cause we'll both be to dang brain dead to care for a real tank by then.:mrgreen:

Back