Skimmer in my 22gal cube!

Leslee

Reef enthusiast
The cube tank I bought, the newest tank came with the filter and skimmer all in the back. Well since I am using HOB filters on my 29gal with NO skimmer, and the new tank was a floor model with NO directions, I HAVE NO CLUE! Now the skimmer is all plugged in, but I am not sure how to adjust the skimmer. There is a knob where I can adjust the speed the water comes into the top cup. I don't know what level to have it at. How far up the skimmer do I want the bubbles to go? I would like to get this correct now since there aren't any fish in the tank. I turned it up high and it was like a little salt water fountain in my living room, so I turned it down, but not sure where the happy medium is!

If you are not at all confused by that and can help I appreciate it!

You want the bubbles to come up right to where the collection cup begins. They will slowly rise, hit the lid of the cup and flow over the sides into the cup. The liquid that collects in the cup should be thicker than water, and brown. You don't want the level so high that water flows into the cup -- only the popping bubbles.

You want the bubbles to come up right to where the collection cup begins. They will slowly rise, hit the lid of the cup and flow over the sides into the cup. The liquid that collects in the cup should be thicker than water, and brown. You don't want the level so high that water flows into the cup -- only the popping bubbles.

Thats about where its at now! Since I have NO waste yet, only live rock and water in the tank, didn't put food or a shrimp in there yet to cycle it, should there be water in the cup or not?

I did take pics, but as soon as I plugged the camera into the comp the batteries died! SO tomorrow I will upload them!

You'll have to make a few adjustments as the skimmer breaks in. Skimmers need to build a slime coat for about a week before they settle in and start working in a predictable manner.

Biff has you covered on the adjustment. You don't want bubbles up in the neck - just below the collection cup. But you'll have to tweak it a few times to really dial it in.

Thanks you guys!

So the bubbles are too high in this pic, correct?

SDC10188.jpg

SDC10187.jpg

Correct. It looks like there's some water in the cup, and it's pretty clear. You want to lower the bubbles so that the water is brown, not clear.

Also, the tube that carries the waste should be going down to a separate container that you then can empty out in the sink or toilet. It shouldn't be putting the waste back into the tank. An easy point to miss, but I wanted to make sure since I can't see where the tube is going.

Thank you so much guys! I got it at a better level and I have brown stuff to empty! Its just Diatom algae but its brown stuff!!!

Back