skimmer n bacteria

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
Has anyone every heard of a skimmer going crazy after adding a bacterial culture to the tank? My mom added bacteria to her tank and her skimmer is going nuts... but she's not sure when that started and the only thing she can attribute it to is the addition of bacteria. Other than that she added rubble rock to her sump.

many additives, like medications, will make excess foam and will make your skimmer "go nuts"

-Doc

I know additives like medications will effects skimmers but I've never heard of bacteria doing this. I told her to leave the skimmer off for a few days til everything cycles through.

John is right on. Leave the skimmer off for a few days, then, do a regular water change and turn it back on. see what happens.

-Doc

If for no other reason, bacteria drops dissolved oxygen levels and dissolved oxygen levels affect skimmer performance. As for the change in polar attractions of all the organics in the water, whoa who could possibly know. Probably not even chemists working for the designers or the manufacturers of the product. Shutting down the skimmer for a few days would seem to be the only reasonable action.

Any sort of additives can make skimmers go nuts. Most don't, but water conditioners, medications, and probably bacterial cultures do it.

Back