Skimmer opinions

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
Looking to upgrade the skimmer I have.

Please give me a few ideas. Looking to spend around $200 or less.
I know everyone loves the Octo. Which ones should I be looking at?
Any other ideas for this price range?

Octo extreme 200, I paid 349 canadian new. Is this for your 165? You are going to have a tough time finding a skimmer for that under 200, but I can tell you the 200 is a beast

The only Octopus skimmers under two Benjamins are the needlewheel and HOB models.Both are a little underrated for a 165 gallon system.Maybe the recirculating model($180) will work on a lightly stocked tank.

The mesh wheel Octo rated for your system runs around $300.That's the one I would recommend.Somebody recently just got one on this site but my mine is running blank,who was it,again?

defiantly hit craigslist, if you cant you might just have to pony up the extra little cash and buy a skimmer that is rated for your 165 or a little more. with skimmers you defiantly get what you pay for

That would be the absolute base skimmer for a tank that size imho. You can make it work, but they are apparantly finicky. I'd go with one of the octos first. It's a bit more for the extreme 200, but I literally plugged it in and haven't touched it since

Looking at the specs on the Octo 200 I would have to run it externally or another large skimmer externally. This changes things a little. I have space to run one externally. What do you suggest?

Help me to understand the riser tube. Does this basically replace the air line on smaller skimmers? How deep can a skimmer sit in the sump and still do the job. I ask because the Octo says it can only sit 8-10" in the water. This would make it about an 1" to tall for me as I have 15" baffles.

bubble plate diffusers, sicce pumps, they are completely different beasts than the other octos. Not to say there is anything wrong with the others.

I have the extreme 200 in my 60g sump for my 180. It needs a footprint of 11.5X13" I have 12" baffles, and my skimmer sits on a 3" stand in the sump. Thats all you have to do if you want deeper baffles. remember to leave enough room in your sump to take the overflow if your power goes out

Capt, the extreem says they have an external model comming out later this year. I may wait for this if I can't find the right one.

The NW200 skimmer is built on a simple, proven design. This skimmer comes with a needlewheel driven pump. Setup is very easy; simply place the skimmer in your sump, plug it in, adjust the riser pipe, then let it go. This is truly a plug and play skimmer.

Are all sumps other than mine usually set with 8-10" baffles. Wish I would have found this out before I built my sump. I could have just set the skimmer on the floor of the sump. Oh well. Are their any skimmers that work being place deaper in the sump?At 10" deep in my sump the Octo will be hitting the top of the stand. I believe I only have room for a skimmer that has a hight of 20-21" I will remeasure to make sure.

that is going to be tough, skimmers for tanks this size are usually a minimum of 24" high, some are up to 30". I built my stand 32" high, minus plywood etc. Anyways, with the sump on the stand I can barely get the collection cup off and out to clean. It's a real pain. At that height you are likely going to have to go external and put it beside your stand

Back