Skimmer opinions

How disapointed would I be if I went with the Octo 150 in sump? It is a little underated for my tank. I would have plenty of clearance with a skimmer this hight.

Capt, that is a good possibility if I have to go externtal.

Sure,it's a little underrated but that skimmer is better than no skimmer.The NW-200 would be better but I doubt you have the 30'' clearance.

Don't forget those skimmers need a feed pump.The pump you see in the picture is for recirculating.

So would you all wait on the Octo Extreem 200 external that is supposed to come out soon, do the Octo 150 that will fit in my sump now, or get the MSO Recirc Needlewheel 150 which is external and is rated at 180g?

Keep the feedback comming and thanks!!!

Performance wise, the Extreme and MSX are much better. The DNW150 will perform better than the NW150. I haven't heard anything about the external Extreme except it will be out....sometime.

OK, well I have been continuing to brouse the web for every skimmer known to man.
( WOW! why the heck are some of these skimmers so expensive?)

This is what I have come up with. Externally run I can have a skimmer hight of 27 1/2 and still get the cup off. In sump I have only 21" with enough room to get the cup off.

This leaves me with either the Octo 150 in sump for $125, the Octo DNW 150 external for $200 plus a pump, or the Octo DDNW external for $324 plus a pump(ouch!)
This is where you continue to give me more options.....ha.

The new externals are out (200 and 250 I think) but they are all to tall(30") inside the stand.
Thinking I may go with the In sump 150 and leave my current skimmer on also. I believe I have room for both. In the long run I may put 2 of the 150's in the sump. What do you guys think?

Do whatever will fit and work within your budget.Remember,just not to overstock with fish,work within your limitations.

It's not uncommon to spend even more on skimmers for a system your size.I don't know of any other skimmers that will give you more bang for the buck.

OK I am back on trying to find a skimmer after my PC crashed.

Question, Why is it that most skimmers like the ETSS reef Devil I am looking at say that I just stick it on the bottom of the sump and make the adjustments and it will work. While some skimmers specifically list that they must be in approx 8-10" of water.
I could use some clarification on this one.

The venturi type skimmers wont draw in air if the pumps to deep in the water.While some it dont matter.
Hope I didnt just confuse you more.

No you didn't. I should have done my homework a little better before I built my sump. Oh well, it gives me more time to work on finding goodies for the tank!!!

With that said can someone or all of you give me a couple of skimmers that will sit in 15" of water with a height of no more than 27". Price range of free to $250. Tank is a 165.
Really would like to keep the skimmer in the sump. Don't really want to go external.

OK, I went and measured the octo extreme 200. It is 21" high with the collection cup in place. You need an inch to remove it, thats 22". Now theoritically, you can have 15" of water, place your skimmer on a 5" stand and have it sitting in 10". 21+5+1 for removal equals exactly 27" Thats cutting it really close. What I'd do is cut your baffles down to 13", and that brings everything down, giving you the room you need.

Keep in mind that you not only have to be able to take off your collection cup, but you have to remove it too. I can get mine off, then I have to slide it all the way to the other end of my sump to get it out. Drives me nuts

So I look up the extreem 200 and every site says it is 22.75". Are everyones measurements that far off?
In my sump if the skimmer sits 10" into the water (5" off the bottom of the sump) then I only have 21" to work with. That leaves me one inch to take the cup off.

you will be good, my only guess is that they put 22.75" in the specs to allow for the cup to be removed. I measured it myself and its 21". If you put it on a 5" stand, you should be good. If not, drop the stand one inch. running in 10 or 11 isn't going to make a huge difference. Remember they run BEST in 8-10", that doesn't mean they won't run at all in 11 or even 12". I think if you were to buy the extreme, it would outperform the others mentioned even if it wasn't at optimal depth. I'm running this skimmer in my 180 right now, and trust me, you ain't gonna get a better skimmer in that price range

OK, I ordered the skimmer today. Went with the external Octo.
Thanks for all the help in getting this. Everyone was a bunch of help with such great advice.

recircnw150l.jpg

Back