Skimmer outside of the sump?

RockStacker

Reefing newb
Are there any non-HOB protein skimmers that are designed to be outside of the sump? (without having to drill the side of the sump tank).
I have a skimmer chamber in my sump for the new 100gal tank but I was exploring other options on setting up the skimmer.
It would be nice to have the skimmer outside of the sump to free up more room in the sump tank and utilize the extra space inside the tank stand.

Yep, there are plenty that can be used externally, or both.
I know AquaC do them. Just look around, you will find them no problem if you include the word "external".

Thanks Waddi.
I just checked some of them out.
I think my biggest challenge with the external and recirculating skimmers is that their return lines are gravity fed and my sump tank is 19" tall.

I will have to find one that can be elevated so that the return line can clear the 19" tall sump and yet still have enough clearance at the top.

Yeah, I have an Aqua C Remora skimmer and only my pump is in the sump...the skimmer hangs onto the back of it.

Thanks Everyone.

Ok. After window shopping for the recirculating skimmers I have determined that they are way outside of my budget.
They cost almost 3x as much as a regular in-sump skimmer.

So on to plan B:
I am planning on getting a Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160 and reconfigure my sump to make this monster fit. I will have to sacrifice 'fuge space to make room for the skimmer.

I think this is the skimmer with the smallest footprint that is still rated for my setup's total water volume.
All the other skimmers have massive footprints.

Back