Skimmer question for the brains of the forum

Eh, I would say not including. Since, if anything, the sump (by adding water volume to your system) is actually helping the skimmer out and giving it less work to do.

but it wont hurt anything to get a bigger skimmer

You can only say that because your mom pays for all your tank stuff :p Deciding between skimmers is often a decision made with funds in mind. Getting a bigger skimmer can definitely hurt the wallet. So if someone has a sump, and money is a factor, I think it's less essential to get a larger skimmer than, say, for someone who has the same sized tank but does not have a sump.

You can only say that because your mom pays for all your tank stuff :p Deciding between skimmers is often a decision made with funds in mind. Getting a bigger skimmer can definitely hurt the wallet. So if someone has a sump, and money is a factor, I think it's less essential to get a larger skimmer than, say, for someone who has the same sized tank but does not have a sump.
but wouldnt you also say that when people add a some and have more water volume that they would be more likely to add more fish and push the bioload more making a bigger skimmer more essential

Some people... But I think most people don't consider the space in the sump "livestock space". I'd hope most people still stock their tank according to their tank size.

Personally,Get the biggest,badest skimmer you can get.The more water you can skim,the better your tanks gonna be.JMO:D

Back