skimmer questions ......

Darren&Candace

Reefing newb
hello all, just wondering if I could get a little skimmer advice. we have a diablo skimmer that if I run on the 3rd speed setting it seems to bubble nice and, makes the beautiful skummy slime it supposed to and in general work the way I think it should. if I turn it up to the 4th speed, after a few hours it will push the bubbles right to the top and actually make the top almost push off .... I think id like to run it on the higher speed - more is better no?? or just leave it set to where it runs right? i'm thinking that's the proper way to do it, but if that's all the faster they can run, why do they make it with 6 settings for speed??? any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

This is exactly why all these new "innovations" in skimming technology actually hurt, not help.
There hasn't been ANY improvement to skimmer in the past 20 years. The basic concept of skimming is simple and everything since then is just gimmicks to sell more skimmers than the next guy.
Sorry to jump on a soapbox.
To kinda answer your question, don't worry about speed. No matter what skimmer you have, you want to find the sweet spot that give you pretty consistent skimming. Wet skim (lighter color, more watery, like iced tea) is pulling out more nutrients over time than dry skim (thick, cakey, sludge).

Back