Skimmer silencer is noisy

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
My Reef Octopus skimmer has a hose with a silencer on top. A couple of days ago it started to make a gurgling noise.

I have been doing some searching online but cant find anything for my exact problem.

I tried cutting off an inch at the end of the hose and putting it back on there but that didnt help.

When I cover up the second hole it goes silent but I dont know if this actually needs to be open for a reason so I didnt want to cause damage by closing it up or blocking it

Here is a picture of what it looks like and I have my finger over the second opening making it silent.
Any advice?

JY9tG.jpg

I removed the "silencer" completely and replaced it with an airline valve. I found that running completely open sucked in too much air which caused the pump to run noisy. I also had to shovea piece of air line in the tube since it is a larger diameter.

Then adjust the valve slowly till the pump isn't making noise.

Yes this worked!

Since the hose was bigger than the airline valve I just jammed the airline valve directly into the second hole (the one with my finger over it) and adjusted the flow through there.

Thanks!

i was looking for youtube for tuning vids for the reef octo NW-150
because if you look at it funny it stops working. Well i found a vid from
this guy MR.saltwater and he was saying most skimmers need a
air valve to adjust the size of the bubbles in the mix. Im wondering if this
is my skimmers problem NO valve. My 150 only has one hole in the silencer

Back