Skimmer suggestions

mjkielec2

Reefing newb
Hi all,

Just setting up my first Reef tank. I have a 90 gallon setup with a Ruby 36s Trigger system for the sump. I'm researching protein skimmers and looking for one that can handle a heavy load. I'm leaning towards an AquaC EV 180 or 240. Any experience with these? Any other brands/models to consider instead of this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi all,

Just setting up my first Reef tank. I have a 90 gallon setup with a Ruby 36s Trigger system for the sump. I'm researching protein skigmfmersy and looking for one that can handle a heavy load. I'm leaning towards an AquaC EV 180 or 240. Any experience with these? Any other brands/models to consider instead of this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark! I wouldnt hesitate at all on aqua c, i personally own 5 of these skimmers for my coral growing business and their wonderful!! The tech. is quite unique but simple in terms of skimmers, being injection style. Imagine your washing your car and u just put soap in the bucket, then u spray your hose in the bucket, the mass of bubbles produced in this manner is in essence the way injection skimmers work. they are self contained which allows out of sump and in sump applications. and the biggest thing for me is the only issue you can have is the injector getting clogged. If a pump goes bad, it's not propriortiery, which means you can use any pump as long as its rated for the model you get. The EV180 would be plenty, id get the danner mag 9.5 or even mag 12 to overdrive it, just make sure to place a inline ball valve to control your flow. I have a 9.5 on my EV120 and mag 12's on my EV180's , and a mag 18 on my EV240. you can adjust each one to your liking in terms of skim, wet or dry skim. Have been running them for 2 1/2 years with absolutely no problems! Everyone has their opinions of course, but I think their the best skimmer out there. Check out Marine Depot, since they sell them by themselves or with the pump, but remember to get a bigger pump in my opinion. I could order you one, but i'm not to familiar on livingreefs policy on solicitation of businesses. So that would be up to them to allow that. Sorry so long winded and I hope this helps! You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any ?'s Have a good day!:)

Back