Skimmers for poor people?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
First let me say that I love this forum. I am learning everyday (and slacking at work).

I have read that we should get equipment that is over powered and not under powered. And I know how important a skimmer is. However, I need to get a skimmer that will get the job done for as cheap as I can. It's not ideal. The alternative is too just wait around until I have a long grey beard before I buy one.

So please let me know what you think about this skimmer. I'm looking at getting a used Coralife Super Skimmer 125 from a lfs for my 150 gallon tank. It would be in my sump.

I recently bought a Chinese no name skimmer from ebay. It's a big disapointment. Its been running for a week and a half and isn't pulling out much foam. The cup has just a really small amount of goo in it each day (Adjustments don't matter). I think it's pump is under powered and the skimmer in general is anemic looking. I really want this Coralife because I read in some other posts that some of you like it and I can afford this used one. One of the moderators commented in a post that he used a coralife 65 and I saw that he had a 125 gallon tank. Also, I haven't been able to figure out how these skimmers are rated to a gallon amount. There's volume, flow rates, multiple chambers ect. But it seems like there is no absolute system for rating skimmers. I've seen some wee little fellers that are recomended for up to 180 gallons which sounds obscene. I think the skimmer world needs some regulation.

Alright then. I guess I'll charge it. I researched some more posts. I'm going to look at the Reef Octopus skimmers. They are a little too big for my sump though.

Octopus skimmers are not that expensive. They are on the cheap end. And they do an excellent job (I use one). Aqua C Remoras are also very good, and you can use them in sump or hang-on-back. You can get a used Aqua C for under a hundred bucks (I just gave one away for free a couple months ago).

I'm having trouble figuring our which Octopus would work for me. I have 150 gallon tank so they tend to be big, But my sump has just 9" x 10.5" of space in it and their is a pump in there already. Is there one that would fit in there?

Bubble Magus. Look it up and see if it fits your requirements.Mine produces good nasty skimmate from my 110g, had it going for several months now.

You could get a recirculating Octopus skimmer. It sits outside your sump on the ground, and pulls water from the sump, then pumps it back when it's done. That's the kind that I have.

Thank you all for the advice. It definitely helped. I spent hours today looking at skimmers. There are a bunch of them. I was supposed to be studying for an Astronomy test but this is just addictive. It was tough to make a decision. I used YouTube to watch videos of the different skimmers which helped. I ended up ordering the Octopus msx160. It looks pretty good.:bounce:
I really hope that baby fits in my sump.

Thank you all for the advice. It definitely helped. I spent hours today looking at skimmers. There are a bunch of them. I was supposed to be studying for an Astronomy test but this is just addictive. It was tough to make a decision. I used YouTube to watch videos of the different skimmers which helped. I ended up ordering the Octopus msx160. It looks pretty good.:bounce:
I really hope that baby fits in my sump.

That's the same one I have. It's gonna be a tight fit' but it should work. I washed mine out with 50/50 vinegar and water, then plain water befor I put it in my sump. Keep this pic because you will get NO directions with the unit.

Back