Skimmr Help

Creben

aspiring reefer
I need help.
i feel like i should get a skimmer. i have just a power filter with a bio wheel on my 20L and i want to support a reef.
what are some good brands of skimmers i can get?
i dont have a fuge so it needs to be hang on the back.
i want as cheap as possible, no need to go overboard i only have 20 L
any ideas?

remember you get what you pay for if you want a reef tank 1st thing is thiers no such thing as cheap if it is cheap then it most likly doesnt work properly

I would not worry about adding a skimmer for such a small tank. I've got a 28 gallon tank with a mixed reef and anemone in for almost a year now and I've never run a skimmer. Weekly water changes are the key on such a small tank.

just remember you dont want a skimmer that is good for UP to 20g always go one step up if i wher you id get a skimmer thats good for a 40-50g

ok. Brian should i leave the power filter on there? ive heard people say it filters out the food needed for the reef

ok. Brian should i leave the power filter on there? ive heard people say it filters out the food needed for the reef

Between live rock and waterchbges, you don't NEED the power filter. But, if it makes you feel better having it and your keeping it clean then you can leave it.

Like Brian stated, you don't really need a skimmer for a small tank, as long as you are faithful with your wc's. Personally, I'd ditch the filter, it will eventually turn into a nightmare and become more of a headache than helping. 10-20wc per week, with adequate live rock and sand is your best bet. :)

Detritus can get stuck in the media part of a power filter which can release toxins into your tank. Ditch it! I'd keep it though. If you had a point where you had a ton of detritus/gunk floating around your tank, a power filter is good to be used temporarily to clear up the tank a bit. But don't use it as a main source of equipment.

Back