skunk cleaner question

greg1186

Reefing newb
im planning on getting a skunk cleaner but i have a couple of questions... can they bring in ick to a tank? they have them at petco... has anyone purchased these from there? is petco a reliable place or is there a high risk of introducing a pest or anything to my tank from there? i dont have a qt tank or anything so i would just acclimate and them put them in my tank.. whats your opinion?

Petco's are hit or miss depending on the individual location, some people swear by them, other people swear them off never to return.

My local PetCo isn't horrible, but it seems like the only fish they ever have are non reef safe wrasses and triggers

As far as a shrimp introducing ich, I am not 100% sure, but I beleive that inverts are not able to carry ich - so you should be fine. You might want to wait for Biff or someone else a little more experienced than myself to chime in though

The shrimp cant carry ich into the tank, but if you have never quarentened any of your fish before putting them in the tank, then you most likely already have ich in there. Just not showing any signs of it. Just dont introduce any of the water from petco into your tank. Scoop the shrimp out with a net after you acclimate him.

the skunk was gone so i got a cbs.. and i read that they can be aggressive.. so far he has just been fine... im afraid he will eat my clown... should i be worried?

CBS will get more aggressive as they get bigger. Beyond just worrying about your fish, if you do decide to add other crabs or shrimp later on down the road the CBS may end up killing and eating them.

Although its rare, ich can be " transferred" from anything wet...
best bet ,if its wet QT it,unless you know for sure it was never with fish

+1 Brian ,about the CBS,mine pinched at the fins of all my fish,and i'm convinced that if he could have got one he would have killed them....then he met my humu trigger....i don't have a CBS anymore

I wouldnt buy anything from petco, just my opinion but the skunk cleaner can not carry ick, mostly likely to pick it off any of your fish depending on the stage the ick is in, but if you have ick. I would not buy any more fish because ick can live for quite sometime and often live in your sand or rock up from 8 to 72 days till it finds a host, best thing to do is have a hospital tank treated with copper to let the fish stay there for a few days, or you can do a fresh water dip for about a min to kill off anything, as to the coral banded, I would say if the tank is larger enough it would be fine and if the fish are healthy the shrimp couldnt catch them

Back