Sleeping clownfish

TimMizic

Reefing newb
We just brought our pair home last night. They made a burrow in the corner and slept in the sand. I haven't read anything about this. Any input would be appreciated

I had a clown that did that from the first day that I got him. Its just a quirk that they have its kind of like "home" for them. My dog face puffer wedges himself between the cracks in the rock to sleep. the first couple of times that I found him like that I thought he was dead... Just interesting the behavior patterns that people fail to mention.

I have a clown fish in two different tanks and my Maroon clown digs out a home in the sand to sleep behind his "host" rock and my Percula sleeps at the top of the tank next to the glass. There definitely is no normal when it comes to them.

thanks for the response. I tried feeding them some frozen brine with spirulina this morning and they didn't show much of an appetite. maybe they need some more time to acclimate.

Not unusual for new fish to not eat for a few days. I have a Auriga Butterfly that wouldn't eat for a week (just looked at the food) and now it eats everything I put in the tank.

Also brine shrimp has almost no nutritional value, its like fish candy. You should feed them a varied diet. Petco/petsmart are great places to get different foods to rotate through.

Mine lives by the pump returns in the top of the tank. They are silly little fellows some times. On a related note, I thought my Royal Gramma was a goner the other morning. It was asleep laying on its side in one of my rocks. Didn't move even when I tapped the glass. I went and got the frozen food and figured I fish him out while it was thawing. As soon as the cup hit the water to scoop it up (the water that is...I thaw it in tank water first) he came a runnin' for breakfast! He swims upside down when he is under the rock ledge too. He is an odd one I tell ya!

Back