Slimy green algae taking over

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
This slimy green mess is taking over my tank and is covering rocks and sand. In a few places it is long and stringy and "billows" in the water column. what can be done with this stuff?

excess algae is always a nutrient export issue. What are you feeding, how many fish do you have, how old are your bulbs, and what is your water change schedule and what do you have for filtration on the tank. Finally, a picture would be helpful.

excess algae is always a nutrient export issue. What are you feeding, how many fish do you have, how old are your bulbs, and what is your water change schedule and what do you have for filtration on the tank. Finally, a picture would be helpful.
I am feeding freeze dried mysis and some tropical flakes with garlic. I only have 3 fish and my bulbs are only about 2 months old. My lights are sitting on the tank, above the lids. I am going to build a canopy to suspend the light pretty soon. I am trying to do a water change once a week but sometimes it winds up being 2 weeks. As far as filtration goes I have 70 pds of dry rock, 3 pds of LR and 40 pds of sand. The cycle is done. I am also running an Algae Scrubber.

i wouldnt feed freeze dried food or flakes, both are filled with nitrates and phosphates to preserve the food, which just fuels algae issues when every scrap isnt eaten. Also having algae issues is something all new tanks go through, you just have to work through it.

Back