Slug is squirting something into the water

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I don't have a picture today but I can't wait until I do to ask about this thing. It looks like a little slug with like a little flat fingernail sized shell on its back. Its about two centimeters long. Its like a grey and white patterned color. I have been watching it grow and crawl around for about four months. It started out as just a tiny little speck. I usually spot it once a week. Yesterday the little thing did something that made me nervous. It was squirting or releasing a jet of water that had particles in it. The jet shot out about three plus inches about five or six times and the fish were pecking at the particles. The little slug thing did this without prevocation. Is it crapping, poisoning, or what? Nobody died so maybe its harmless. Or, just maybe this little guy needs to be put down.

I did try to research this in past threads. I also could not identify as compared to any pics I found online.

Now that I know what it is, I looked it up. This is some info about them doing what they do.

They usually spawn during the day when they crawl to a high point in the aquarium. They then release egg and milt directly into the water were fertilization takes place. You can sometimes see how the water suddenly becomes cloudy in a tank containing Stomatella snails as a result of their spawning. This is nothing to worry about and will clear up relatively quickly. Some fish and filter feeders will eat the milt and eggs.

Back