small budget frag tank...

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
im trying to set up a small frag tank with extra stuff i have laying around.
i was wondering if i set up a ten gallon frag tank if i can get away without using a skimmer.
i would be using an aquaclear 70 full of live rock rubble. and an aqueon hang on filter rated for a 30gallon .... in the aqueon fliter ill be using the filter pads with carbon, but i also have another spare aquaclear 70 i could keep cheato in (or more live rock rubble) if that would be better than running the aqueon filter.
ill be doing weekly water changes to keep my parameters stable.
the light im using is the 20" odyssea 4 bulb t-5.
does anyone know where i can buy replacement bulbs for this fixture? i think theyre 18" bulbs.
i really just plan on growing zoas and palys. maybe some ricordeas.
what do you guys think? any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, you can get away without using a skimmer or filter. 10 gallons are small enough that water changes will keep your water quality in good condition. I had a 10 gallon tank for a while and changed out about 2 gallons a week.

yeah i mainly wanna run the aquaclear filters for added water volume and also flow...and to be able to increase the amount of live rock in my system. also i have a nano koralia fan. but i dont think ill even need it with the 2 aquaclears running. should i add a fish? i was thinking a damsel since he'll be the only one.

I don't know yet, I've seen alot of people using leds. I'll probly use a small 65k for now but I'm looking into the leds.

I read somewhere that you can't trust the kevins listed on bulb packages because there is no control on it and the manufacturer can test any number of ways and slant the readings to be what they want the package to say. I think that goes more for the ones found in hardware stores and that the ones we get in LFS are more accurate because we will be looking for results and will write reviews against them if they lie to us. Any comments?

I had MH lamps over my tank and was led to believe they were the right kevins.. but now know I was led down a marketer's horse trading path. They were way too white and far too weak on the blues.

Back