Small "pretty" fish

My tank will be 2.5 months old when the anniversary rolls around. I have seen a lot of amphipods on my rock, but not sure if it'd be enough to sustain him.

I wouldn't recommend putting a mandarin in a tank that young. The exception is if you buy a mandarin that eats frozen food. Have the LFS drop some food in their for sale tank. If the mandarin goes after it, that's a fish you can add. If not, pass on that mandarin and leave it for someone with a large enough tank to sustain it with live foods.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

My wife doesn't want to order anything..she thinks the shipping is a waste of money..so it's another trip to San Antonio..or just picking up whatever my LFS has in stock...

Is it really that bad to buy a fish from Petland or Petco? They honestly have good prices. My LFS sells everything for 2-3x what it should be..

Maybe I should pick up some more CUC..like a starfish or two and a couple shrimp...Hard to go wrong with inverts from petland right?

every petco or petland is different. One petco in town isnt so bad but the other two I wouldnt take a free fish from. All depends on who is taking care of the tanks. Just my :twocents:

every petco or petland is different. One petco in town isnt so bad but the other two I wouldnt take a free fish from. All depends on who is taking care of the tanks. Just my :twocents:
Yeah, we have two petcos here in Anchorage. The one near me is not too bad and is always clean, while the other across town is a disaster. As you said it really depends.

Petcos are all corporate owned while Petlands are franchises. Petcos are usually more uniform in their practices. With individual owners (franchisees) then they sometimes do their own thing (like sell puppies from a puppy mill, etc.)

I have purchased from almost every company and would again, provided they don't undertake bad practices. Often, I too, find then to have better prices. You do have to be careful with the condition of the livestock.

my petco is pretty clean and everytime i go in they are cleaning the tanks and doing it in a manner not to stress the fish that much..i bought my two clowns and chromis from there and they been with me for 5 months..i like them (btw i would go with the flame angel..i have always liked them)

Okay back to fish suggestions. How about a Blue Spot Jawfish?
I just got one yesterday. Great little fish with lot, and lots of personality.
Blue Spot Jawfish 2.5-4 in. (Opistognathus rosenblatti) - Reef Hot Spot

Now that's a beautiful fish! Now there's a problem because I was set on a yellow watchman goby, but that's just beautiful. Couldn't keep the both of them though could I?

Went to Petland today on my lunchbreak...They have this beautiful purple colored sand...cyano I'm assuming..in EVERY TANK. When I was there two months ago they had a tank full of corals..now everything in there was dead. I'm gonna have to give Petco a try, too bad it's almost an hour away :*(

Back