Small Schooling Fish

Kizmar

#derpface
I have all these ideas of what I want in my tank (once it's done cycling for another couple weeks). I had a question about one particular "item" that I want in my tank at some point...

I have no clue yet which species play nice and will eventually have soft corals and anemones in the tank. That said, I would like to find a fish that stays small and is a schooling type. I'd like to have 4 or 5 of these, enough that they'll dart/move around the tank in a small school.

I have this idea in my head and wondered if there is a fish that fits this description.

Chromis, anthias, wrasse... There are many possibilities. You may need more schooling fish than the number suggested to diffuse aggression.

well there is the blue reef chromis 4-5 of them would be nice but they are related to the damsel's and clowns and in schools they do have a ring leader that will bully the others to keep them inline and that would be the bigger of them all. though like any type of damsel there could be an issue of then picking on the other fish once they are full grown. as to other schooling small fish hmmm there are scissor tails they are beautiful fish as well but they are jumpers also. cardinals are good also I have a bubby that has 5 in his 200g that get along just fine. so i say just do a bit of research and see what will fit your tank best.

In my up coming build im going with a school of Lyretail Anthias. Maybe you should check em out. Get one male and then like 3 female.

Anthias dont do very well in young tanks, they have such high metabolism that need to graze pretty constantly. Young reef tanks dont produce enough food to for them to graze in between feedings, which still need to be 2 or 3 times a day.

+2 for the Blue/Green Chromis. I have a school of 7 in my 180g and they are almost always together and constantly on the move.:sfish:

Back