small space sump design?

VAreef

Reefing newb
Hi,

I am pretty new and I have a 65 gallon tank in it's second week of cycling atm. I want to build a sump, however, I am limited in cabinet size. I was wondering if a 20 gallon sump with 4 Nano protein skimmers could actually handle my aquarium. The cabinet I am wanting to install the sump in is 36"X18" X18". 4 nano skimmers made by current USA would be able to skim 336 gph. Can I even use multiple small skimmers where one larger one should be? Is the sump going to be too small? Are the Current USA skimmers junk?
What else am I missing here? I understand fluid flow quite well but applying it to aquariums is very new to me.

Please don't tell me I have to build a larger cabinet. The height of it now is perfect for viewing from the couch. Also, I'm pretty set on having as little mechanical equipment in or on the tank as possible. And I do want to eventually have stony corals if that helps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian in VA

Any size sump is better than nothing. I have a 20 gallon sump on my 55 gallon tank, which is a good size. You could even use a 10 gallon tank if you pressed for space, but obviously that would be half as effective as the 20 gallon :).

I had the same problem with my tank, I couldn't fit a 20 gallon sump in the stand under my tank, so I ended up having to put it on the floor next to my main tank. It looks ugly sitting on the floor with the plumbing going to and from it, but it works. I've been trying to convince my husband to build a backless cabinet to just fit on top of it to hide it. That is an alternative you could think of too, if you are handy.

I don't know about the Current USA skimmers, sorry.

Back