Small starfish hitch hiker...

Drvillen

Reefing newb
I don't have a picture for you but for a description....
Body wises it is 3/8 inch across, takes the shape of a chocolate star...
Colour wise the outside tips of the arms are darker brown, as you move to the centre he gets lighter in colour beige then sort of green, in his body centre he is almost pink. I can't get a picture as I moved him out of my Cad Lights that is cycling and put him in the Biocube.
Hope I can get some idea on what he is.

Some people think asterinas are pests. I think mine have eaten zoas and palys. Some people have tons in their tanks that have never touched anything but algae.

How many legs? I agree it is most likely an Asternia, and should be taken out. They need faster than an STD in a Thai whore house. Another alternative is to let it multiply, and buy a Harlequin shrimp to feed on them. The Harlequins are really cool little shrimp too.

How many legs? I agree it is most likely an Asternia, and should be taken out. They need faster than an STD in a Thai whore house. Another alternative is to let it multiply, and buy a Harlequin shrimp to feed on them. The Harlequins are really cool little shrimp too.

I have a blood shrimp in the tank. He seems to eat everything as well
I am not to worries about it. He is really small. How bi do they get?

no bigger than your pinky nail, but breed hell of fast, and can become a very big problem. Like the others stated, they will eat your coraline. I like Sarah have also noticed them on my zoas.

The blood shrimp wont touch the starfish. The harlequin starfish are obligate starfish eaters which is why they can be used to control the asternia population. But if they totally kill the population off, they can die of starvation, so you need to either buy more starfish for them to eat, or rehome them.

Attack them with tweezers. I have them but the instant I see one I pull it out with tweezers. They have never gotten out of control and now I see one a month if that. They ARE a pest.

Back