Small tubes on LR

kwsm

Reefing newb
I have a newly set up and cycling 55g saltwater tank with LR. Trying to identify these little tubes that I see in clusters around the crevasses and holes in the rock. They're very small, with the largest around 3/4 inch long. Looking around the internet and such, I'm sure it's a worm of some sort but I can't find anything online that I can look at and think, "THAT'S it." So looking for an ID on these things for someone new to saltwater tanks!

Thanks in advance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/AtariatriX/IMG_09721.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/AtariatriX/IMG_09731.jpg

It's just a cleaner worm. It will send out a mucus thread to catch food that looks like a web. It a good thing...

Oh, fantastic! Thanks for a quick reply. I haven't seen any of them move or anything and I'm still panicky about messing up my tank :P

after a while you might notice a feather come out of some of them. Theses are good things for your tank. Oh and welcome to the site.

look up verminted snails

A few descriptions/pictures I have found look quite like them, varying only in color. The pictures I have seen show ones of similar shape but are a deep red; whereas what I have in my tank are almost a fleshy color and semi-transparent. I also hear that their mucus is rather noticeable. If indeed these are the snails (and from what I've read, they are quite proliferous and might take over a tank) is it possible they may be dead? The tank hasn't been set up more than a week, but in those couple days we've taken quite a shine to staring at it contents. I don't believe I have ever seen any of them move or any sort of mucus stream.

If they are live, is there a fish or invert that would do well in a FOWLR tank that eats them?

look up verminted snails

Without a doubt,thats what they are.:D

You'll normally see their webs first thing after the lights come on,or after you've stirred up some crud in the tank.
No need to really worry about em,unless the webs are close enough to cause corals to stay closed.

Back