snail deaths

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Got a problem with my tank...after my high salinity problem (added too much mag buffer and spiked my salinity), a lot of my CuC died. Since then, I've gotten my salinity down to normal levels, but now all the new things I add to the tank die almost instantly!!! The snails, even after being drip acclimated, just stop moving and die. The serpent stars I added 3 weeks ago were never seen again.

The hermits I have are doing fine, the urchins are moving slower than usual but have all their spines, and the shrimp is fine, so I don't really suspect copper...

pH is 8.4, salinity 1.026, nit/amo are 0. uggggh, any ideas?

I thought of that today - this morning! refracto was off a little bit, but not enough for concern. Salinity is around 1.023 after the calibration. Tested for copper today with a polypad - no heavy metals, no ammonia...

pH seems normal - I'm confused as to what's going on. Going to take a sample to the lfs tomorrow to see if he can see anything.

I don't have anemonies. I run carbon and skim heavy, so I'm not sure it's toxins - plus, my corals all look great, and my fish are doing wonderful....

I thought that; but they were fine at the lfs. And then, I got a second set, and a different type (Astra this time over trochus) - and the died!

You know I just figured it out, it is your AI LED system. You put them in and they see the light and just keep going to it. You should pack it up and let me come get it from you. :)

Hold up,Parrotchute you have the AI LEDs?How many modules on your 75 and how are they working out.I'm seriously,seriously considering putting 8 of them on mine.

I read this in my fish mag before.LFS brings them snails in without acclimating to proper salinity.The internal organs get damage and the snails look healthy,still do there job for a couple of weeks,then dies.I would still check copper to be on the safe side.

Reef - yeah, I have the AI LEDs - I have 4 modules, and when I go for my upgrade, I'm planning on getting 2 more! I absolutely love them - they are ever better hooked up to my profilux, where they are completely controllable! Amazing range of options with them. I got pics in my build thread.

I checked copper, nothing! pH is a bit high at 8.4, but that's what I usually keep them at...my 'verts still look a little stressed (the living ones that is).

My LFS is pretty decent, and this is he 2nd batch of snails that he' given me that have stopped moving more or less INSTANTLY after drip-acclimation. Very weird. Going to go test for a stray voltage now...

Alex

I am guessing the PM I sent to you from my itouch didnt make it. I am getting to 17.5in ones, easy to upgrade if I need to with 2min upgrades.

Do you run an actinic setting with yours or just dim down your system?

I will check your thread out.I heard awesome,awesome stuff mating the AI with the Profilux.The test done on RC says the bulbs only lose 3-6% at two years.Easily last 5 years,maybe even last as long as the rep from AI stating 10 years.Even at five years that would save me $1750/$350 a year now for replacing my 14 T5 bulbs.I think its time,just trying to get the nerve to pull the trigger-$4000 is alot dough.

John, sounds good, looking forward to hearing how they work out for you. Mine have blue and white LEDs - my blues stay on about 14 hours/day, and the whites are on about 8. The start out at 0% intensity, work their way up to 100% by noon, and back down.

Yeah, reef, the thing I like about them, is the modularity of them. It should be relatively easy to replace the bulbs themselves when newer generations of LEDs come out. My elec bill has dropped as well, and the temp in my tank is a lot more stable.

Back