Snail Die Off?

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
Sadly I recently lost Bibbity and Bobbity the original Astreas. Bibbity just dropped dead and I woke up to find her being picked over by the peps and the serpent star :( Bobbity I accidentally killed when I pulled the rubble n chaeto out of the filter. I didn't know he was in there. Now it seems as though a chain reaction snail die off has started. I lost 2 astreas over the last few days, the really cool Florida cerith with the wild coral growth on his back and 1 small nassarius. Water parameters are fine. The 2 new fish, the clown and the lawnmower blenny are fine. The peppermints and Evil the serpent star are fine. What is happening to my poor snails???

Snails are sensitive to and can be intolerant of temperature swings, changes in water parameters, lack of food, and stray voltage leaking into the tank from powerheads, etc.

No powerhead but I do have a submersible heater. I would feel stray voltage when I put my hand in the water right? If so, I'm not feeling anything. Temp is 78.

Were these snails part of the cycle? Hitchikers? If so, they may have been 'damaged' while it was taking place, taking some time to die.

I dont think you would feel the current, unless its a pretty serious leak. You should definitely check for stray voltage.

It also sounds like you dont have enough flow in there, but i dont think that is related to the snails dying.

The outflow from the HOB has a good current for this small tank. I put a powerhead in the 29 and it shifted all the sand to one side :grumble:
Here are current readings:
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite:0
Ph: 8.2
:dunno:

You really do need a little more flow in there.While the filter does move some water,its probably not moving all the water.A small nano power head will help.You just need to play around with it to keep from moving all the sand.
For the snails.It could be about anything thats made them drop like that.

Were these snails part of the cycle? Hitchikers? If so, they may have been 'damaged' while it was taking place, taking some time to die.
The original 2 snails, Bibbity and Bobbity were hitchhikers. They came in on my LR and did go through the whole cycle. Bibbity dropped dead about 2 weeks ago. I murdered Bobbity myself :( these others came in about 2-3 weeks ago

I have had stray voltage problems in a few of my tanks, and the only time I felt it was when I had an open cut on my hand and was working in the tank. It's something to check, as it seems to be a common culprit when inverts are inexplicably dying.

I have had stray voltage problems in a few of my tanks, and the only time I felt it was when I had an open cut on my hand and was working in the tank. It's something to check, as it seems to be a common culprit when inverts are inexplicably dying.
Well I always have cuts,scratches,wounds on my hands!!! Especially when dear ol' FluffenButt the elderly landshark on crack decides to rear up and latch on with both front feet with fresh trimmed nails. Ugh. Dana is going to get the stuff to change the oil in Fred so I'm going to ask him to grab a volt meter. He has one but it's at work. The culprit of stray voltage could only be the heater. I've got to go out later to petco and get a new reef kit. Used my last testing a little while ago. If it's the heater then I can replace it quickly. I'll also look for a nano powerhead.

If you have an open cut on your hand, it'll sting because of the salt water, not because of stray voltage.

If you have an open cut on your hand, it'll sting because of the salt water, not because of stray voltage.

Of course it does! I use salt water for a lot of healing properties. I don't have stray voltage anyway. Checked that yesterday

Oh gotcha. I get stinging around my fingernails every once in awhile, especially when my hands are dry. Last time I felt any tingling was from my computer ports. Found out my wall socket had a loose ground wire. :death:

Just wanted to correct something!! My Florida Cerith with the awesome coral growth didn't die. I had two with coral growth and I assumed it was Prongs. Nope it was the other. Prongs is the one I posted pics of

Back