snail ID?

Aquarian

Reef pro
I thnk it's a whelk but I'm not sure.
I see it everywhere in the tank in the sand in rocks on the glass. It's never on coral. It was around 1mm when I first noticed it about 3 months ago now it's 3/4". Any thoughts on its ID?
null_zps1fb1bb61.jpg

null_zpse245f8ad.jpg

null_zps857dfcad.jpg

null_zpsf293678d.jpg

null_zps18b6137f.jpg

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on A POCKETEXPERT GUIDE TO MARINE INVERTIBRATES BY Ronald L Shimek { good reference book, cheap} on pg 318 is a Nassarius sp. Yours looks like what I have. I have 3. They have a little trunk thing that they wave around, they're about 1/2" shell and the are allways on the sand. Mine dont hurt anything. THey bury themselves in the sand alot. But mine haven't grown any bigger since i bought them. Probably a yr. Foster and Smith has them listed under Nassarius snail IF its the same sp.

Last edited:
I agree with you, looks like Whelks to me ... If they were Nass. Snails they wouldn't be leaving the sandbed but, you're seeing them all over your tank to include the rocks and glass. You can check out TBS and see a few pics they have of whelks. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html
Yes it looks the same. That explains my loss so many stomatella snails. I guess I better pull him before he eats all the escargot :eek:

Yup, they reproduce ridiculously quick too. Took me a solid 2 years to get them out of my tank.

I looked at your pix and looked at my snails. Mine don't have the brown spotted shell. So mine are nassarius snails. Yay

Back