Snail Murder

David G

Reefing newb
He everyone,

I am new to this obsession and currently have a 55 gal tank that is currently fowlr. I began stocking with my clean up crew and put in 10 hermits and 6 snails. I have lost three crabs to some unknown reason of demise but I have witnessed the murder of my snails by the crabs. Seems the crabs want to jack my snails living quarters so what used to look like snails is now a crab inside. I currently have one snail left. Is this a start-up issue or when I put new snails in the tank, will the crabs just want a new shell because it is new or different? Or are they just up-sizing and will stop the murdering until they need a bigger house?

Just wondering?????????
David G

It is pretty standard for hermit crabs to murder snails for their shell. You can slow this down by adding extra shells for them, but once they get a taste for snail they often hunt them just for fun.

And you might be seeing the molt, they look a lot like a dead body but have no meat.

Yup yup, crabs are mean. I only have 2 in my 60 and probably 50 snails and routinely see empty snail shells :(
I'd get some more snails and get rid of some of those hermits. No reason to have so many.

How do you get rid of hermits that always hide? And what about shrimp? I saw a camel shrimp munchin on something big that wasn't food. I wonder if it was a chunk of snail

you wait until they come out and grab them. Also camel shrimp arent reef safe, so you will need to get them out before you add corals.

Back