snail thing

Ashna

Reefing newb
hard to see but its a little white snail that moves pretty fast. hes got a spikey looking thing on his head :S good or bad?

Attachments

• weird snail thing.jpg
    weird snail thing.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 317
Here is one from my tank. Does yours look like this? If so, they are good little guys to have running around. Mine hide in the sand and come out when I feed The tank.
PICT2527-Copy.jpg

I would google whelk snails to see if it's that as well. Whelks look very similar to nass snails but, they are not reef safe

The siphon on a whelk is almost always "tattoo" looking with black in it. Whelks also dont move very fast and get much larger than nass snails do.

The whelks in my tanks always moved quickly and I always have all different sizes because I can never get them out before they spawn.

All nassarius are whelks but not all whelks are nassarius. There are something like 10,000 different whelks of which about 300 are nassarius and reef safe. Do you have any close up pics of yours?
Sorry to hijack your thread Ashna.

I bought some of those at the fish store and they are safe. I will try and find out the name tomorrow. Mine live under the sand and come up like a submarine when I feed the fish. No problems here.

Back