Snail

Ryan

Reefing newb
Had one that was looking pretty bad so I decided to get him out of the tank. I heard that if one dies on ya that it can screw your tank up bad? Any thoughts on why this may have happened? Temps fluctuated after my water change the other day so maybe that had something to do with it? Let me know.

R

Its hard to say why it died. Snails sometimes just die. No worries tho, 1 sanil dying will not harm your tank especially if you have other cleaner crew. Plenty of snails have died in my tank without me doing anything about it. Empty shells all over the place. Dont worry.

Its hard to say why it died. Snails sometimes just die. No worries tho, 1 sanil dying will not harm your tank especially if you have other cleaner crew. Plenty of snails have died in my tank without me doing anything about it. Empty shells all over the place. Dont worry.
+1...

I wouldn't worry about it, I have had a large fish die overnight and my cleanup crew took care of him, no harm done to my tank.

I've had him for at least a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I just got a bad one out of the 5. The others seem to be doing great along with my peppermint shrimp and arrow crab. I actually got lucky because I never acclimated any of my inverts the correct way, well it was along the right track but not what I was supposed to do. The snail we got rid of was still moving but very slowly. So, if one dies can I rely on my peppermint shrimp and arrow crab to take care of the job?

No, just one crab and one shrimp will not devour something like that. You need more, but that's ok because you need a much larger cleanup crew for a 29gal aquarium, so you just need to get some more inverts I would say.

My Coral Banded shrimp died while I was away. The dottyback really harassed him a lot by biting off all his antennae. I saw no change in nitrates or ammonia.

That's why bristleworms are your best cleaner friends and the arrow crab sucks! If you have bristleworms, one snail dying won't harm your tank. If you do not have a sufficient cleaner crew, then it could spike your params.

And I'm guessing that the temp swing you talked about had something to do with it :(.

Back