Snails are Dying Quickly

khaotik

Reefing newb
I have a strange problem going on with my snails. It seems like every day I find another one dead. Is this usual for them to die off in numbers like this? I wouldnt think so. All of my parameters havent changed and the two fish I have seem to be doing great.

Do you use tap water or RODI water?
Do you have hermits?
How much do your salinity and temperature fluctuate over a 24 hour period?
How long have you had the snails?
How did you acclimate them?

I know, it's a lot of questions. :)

How long have your snails been in there? I had 2 snails after 3 weeks just kick off but I thing that was because of my crab and/or shrimp. But the tank at on of the cleaning jobs there snails seem to crock every 5-6 weeks and there tank is 3years from what they tell me. That's always been an issue for them. From what I know copper, mini cycles can make some issues for your inverts. Sometimes things can start to crash but things look fine and need a watchful eye. Hell even household cleaners can cause some probs. If used near a tank and vaper spray gets in your water. It could be a number of things. But yeah I just don't really know what it could be just some routes to pick at really. Sorry to hear your snails are dropping like fly's

Unfortunatley I have been using tap water. I have several Hermits. I have two large red legged hermits, 5 large blue legged hermits, I had two small blue hermits but one has passed. I have had the snails for over three months. I acclimated them by floating bag in the water for 20-30 minutes and slowly added some of my tank water very little at a time.

you say that your parameters havent changed. What are they? High nitrates can be bad for snails

Also, how long did you take to acclimate them? I usually drip acclimate snails far a minimum of 2 hours.

Yea one of original Astrea snails, Bibbity died this morning. I discovered the serpent star, peppermints and a few Nasarius on her. I had a small spike in nitrates the other day so I'm thinking that did her in

Yea one of original Astrea snails, Bibbity died this morning. I discovered the serpent star, peppermints and a few Nasarius on her. I had a small spike in nitrates the other day so I'm thinking that did her in
Thats stinks :( mine get bullied by my emerald crab the bastard then again its only because they go on his rock and feed on what he calls his food. Hell if i was a crab and someone was in my home eating my food I'd try and eat then as well. Simply because I'm a crab and I can do thing like that. Like the say when the opportunity strikes eat every thing in site lol

Khaotic- if you ever need to top your tank, and you don't have a RODI unit, or time to get distilled water, you can boil your tap water. It's a form of sterilization much preferable to straight tap water.

Back