Snails are Dying Quickly

its that there snails keep dropping dead and i think every one covered it pretty damn well on what to do every one here is amazing with what they know and how helpful every one is its great :D and i just Bought more........... thats right SNAILS!!!! Big ones to. They will all be named Gary just because my Niece says I have to name each and ever snail I get "Gary"....

Khaotic- if you ever need to top your tank, and you don't have a RODI unit, or time to get distilled water, you can boil your tap water. It's a form of sterilization much preferable to straight tap water.

Didn't I just read a post about not heating up water on the stove because it could leach metals into the water?

its that there snails keep dropping dead and i think every one covered it pretty damn well on what to do every one here is amazing with what they know and how helpful every one is its great :D and i just Bought more........... thats right SNAILS!!!! Big ones to. They will all be named Gary just because my Niece says I have to name each and ever snail I get "Gary"....

Haha my evil wicked mean and nasty star fish is Patrick

Khaotic- if you ever need to top your tank, and you don't have a RODI unit, or time to get distilled water, you can boil your tap water. It's a form of sterilization much preferable to straight tap water.

That would kill any bacteria in the water, but does nothing to purify that water. All the copper and nitrates in the water to begin with will still be there. And it could potentially add more to the water if you use a copper or aluminium pan to boil it. Most tap water has also been heavily treated with chlorine to kill the bacteria so boiling it really wont doo that much more.

That would kill any bacteria in the water, but does nothing to purify that water. All the copper and nitrates in the water to begin with will still be there. And it could potentially add more to the water if you use a copper or aluminium pan to boil it. Most tap water has also been heavily treated with chlorine to kill the bacteria so boiling it really wont doo that much more.

I guess I'm lucky. Maybe. I have well water with no chlorine, nitrates, etc. I guess I wouldn't do it with city water.

I guess I'm lucky. Maybe. I have well water with no chlorine, nitrates, etc. I guess I wouldn't do it with city water.

You having well water would be more likely to have disolved minerals in the water since it hasnt been treated at all in a facility. Unless you have a house hold RO unit and that would remove those impurities. Check yout disolved solids on a TDS meter of the water if you have one. I would bet that they are pretty high.

You having well water would be more likely to have disolved minerals in the water since it hasnt been treated at all in a facility. Unless you have a house hold RO unit and that would remove those impurities. Check yout disolved solids on a TDS meter of the water if you have one. I would bet that they are pretty high.
Hmm it has some kindof huge white thingie that is called an aerator I think. Is that some kind of RO unit? Cause Florida has funky smelling natural water and when it comes into the house, it's fine?

An aerator just adds air to the water, most likely to help remove the smell from the water. It isnt an RO unit :(. I would run a full battery of tests to make sure that the water is good to use. It might very well be, in that case, you are saving some money in the hobby:Cheers:

An aerator just adds air to the water, most likely to help remove the smell from the water. It isnt an RO unit :(. I would run a full battery of tests to make sure that the water is good to use. It might very well be, in that case, you are saving some money in the hobby:Cheers:

Boy no kidding!!! Since I either buy water from the LFS at a buck a gallon or distilled from the grocery for 79 cents

In Florida,your well water if probably alright to use in your tank.But have it tested just to make sure there are no inorganic phosphates and metals in it.

I've used straight tap water since I've been in the hobby.But I've also had the tap water tested at least once a month so I know that its safe to use.

Back