Snails died what the....

blazk

Reefing newb
I transfered my turbo snails over couple days ago. I made extra sure that the tank tests were spot on before hand. Everything was perfect not anything out of order. Put the 2 snails in the bag and sat them in the new tank for 15-20min, started adding the tank water every 15min etc. The snails pretty much went to the top of the tank and out the water then down again. Today i found them motionless turned them over to see if there was any movement. As i upturned them a white cloud of death / decay came ou. I took them out the tank and had a snif and nearly gaged and died myself, definatly dead, they both were. Not sure what has cause this, retested the tank everything was still spot on.

I have now put in 10 new snails (not sure what they are. Little black ones) seen here:

snail.JPG

and 10 hermit crabs to help keep that brown algae abay. So I hope that this wont effect these ones to. Except for the Valentine Puffer trying to eat them all the time they seem happy going through the sand and glass.

Any suggestions about how / why, i know they would probably be a waste of time and a endless list. Or how to stop my puffer from going after them would also be helpful.

Thanks for the read :)

puffers are not really reef safe. I dont know if you have a reef tank or predator tank but if you have a reef, i dont recommend a puffer.

From that photo, they look exactly like turbo snails.
Usually I drip acclimate my snails, because they are VERY sensitive to pH/water diff, apparently.

I fee your pain, I REALLY want a puffer, but I love my inverts.
-Alex

Hehehe...too bad they don't make tank versions of bitter apple to spray on your snails! LOL Works on my ferret!!!!

I also use the drip method, then just float the bag to equalize the temp before dumping them in. I lost 1 turbo when I got my last batch of inverts, but everyone else was fine.

Sometimes the cause of death may not be obvious. This may have been caused by something unrelated to the transfer, possible? Wild guess: copper or some other bad chem in the tank?

Really could have been caused by anything.Even falling off the glass and not being able to turn right side up again.Which kills a lot of snails.

Hehehe...too bad they don't make tank versions of bitter apple to spray on your snails! LOL Works on my ferret!!!!

hahahahaha buahahahaha mehehehehe i used to spray that crap all over my house for my stinking chocolate lab! that would be a phenomenal capability for our tanks! haha

+1 yote. it could be something as simple as falling and not getting up. it happens to our snails all the time and we help them up if they cant get it after a couple hours.

that is how most of mine die by the time i see them its too late
I have a vigilant daughter who checks ALL the inhabitants on a daily basis and like an ambulance screeching through my house, insists I go downstairs right that second and rescue the poor snail (I mean, who cares if I"m in the bathroom? The snails more important, right?)

(TMI!):^:

my son is like that everyday after school he cleans the glass and tells me if he sees something he does not like. but when i am at work there is nothing i can do so they die

+1 everyone, if your water parameters are good, then they drowned to death(upside down) lol. and it always happens when you're not around to turn them back up.

damm helpless snails. Thanks for the advice and heads up guys. Ive lost a few snails that way. they usually get stuck at night so by the time i see them usually to late. What can you do really...least its not an expensive sort of snail.

Have you seen the golden turbo at the Den.$25 for 5 is pretty expensive.

This is what I read in a fish magazine.Slow,slow acclimate snails like any other inhabitant.Rapid salinity change can damage their internal organs.They may live for weeks,even months but will eventually die.BTW,you have bought nerite snails.

Back