Snails killed by stray voltage?

tubz

Reefing newb
I can not keep snails alive in my 90 gallon for more than 2 weeks. My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, temp areound 78, ph 8, .
My shrimp have been in the tank since I started it around last September, so almost a year, starfish ias about 5 months old. and all fish are fine.
So i tested for stray voltage and am getting around 13.8 volts, Is that enough to kill snails but not the other invertabrates?
I ordered a ground probe last night 1 for each of my tanks.

How have you been acclimating them? They are very susceptible to differing water parameters especially salinity. It can take a few weeks for them to die from the internal damage. So depending on how your LFS acclimates them, there could be a chance they were dying already.

I would drip acclimate for 2-4 hours.

Are you sure your tank has never been exposed to copper? Any trace amounts can be lethal to inverts. Maybe your tank's too clean, too? They could be starving.

Hrm...also if it were the stray voltage, the starfish would definitely have been one of the first affected, as well. Maybe it's just bad stock of snails? It happens.

If you have stray voltage in your tank, then a grounding probe is only a band-aid solution. The source of the stray voltage will still be there.
In some cases a grounding probe will make things worse. Any critter in the path of the grounding probe and the source of the stray voltage will be part of that circuit.

The best course of action is to identify which electrical device in your tank is producing the stray voltage and repair or replace it.

Being as your other inverts are doing fine, I don't see stray voltage as being your problem since it would take out your other stuff too.

And I can't vouch for other stores, but we've had problems with the last several batches of snails we've got in.And they all came from different wholesalers.
But before we go down that road.Can you give us a complete run down of your waters parameters?

Yote, my water parameters ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .25 according to api test kit
Temp 78
Sg 1.025
Ph between 7.8-8.0
Am I missing anything?
The tank is almost a year old but it really is pretty clean except for hair algae problem I had but is getting better.
So maybe they are starving?
Stocking list
Yellow tang
Foxface
Coral beauty
Diamond goby
Whip fin fairy wrasse
2 Orange clowns
Black n white clown
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Marble sea star
Halloween hermit crab
All seem to be doing great. Shrimp were in tank since new. Last September.
Am feeding half a cube every other day and piece of algae sheets on days I don't feed.

You are not overstocked, and your parameters look good. I don't see anything wrong with the way you are acclimating them (if I remember correctly, you drip acclimate them over a couple hours?). Sounds like starvation may be an issue. Do you have enough algae for them to eat? With foxface and tang, they may not get enough food. Have you noticed the crab bothering them? That's the only animal in your tank that is known to go after snails.

Ya a slow drip. I've never seen the crab by them. So maybe just not enough food. I gave hair algae that I'm finally beating but they didn't ever seem to eat that.

What kind of snails specifically? Margarita snails are commonly sold in the hobby but rarely live longer than a few weeks to a couple months, because they are typically collected in cold waters off the Pacific coast, and they cook to death in reef tank temperatures.

Have you noticed your wrasse picking on your snails? Recently my wrasse has started knocking my snails off the sides of my tank. Once they are on the sand bed he picks at them. Sometimes he kills them and sometimes he doesn't. He prefers to pester my nerite snails.

Have you gotten them from the same store? If so, ask them how they acclimate their snails. Since it can take up to a month for the snails to die from bad acclimation, that might be the culprit.

I don't know because the 2 turbos in my 55 gallon are from the same stores as I've purchased snails for the 90 gallon. And they've been doing fine.

Back