snails or sea hare

jpjones

Reefing newb
I wanted to get some snails to keep algae under control but none of my LFS have the astrea, trochus,cerith or nassarius snails only turbo. The last place I stopped had a 5 in. sea hare.He suggested to get that and it would take care of all algae problems.Right now algae is not real bad and thought it might starve.He said it would even eat BLACK algae ! What is that from? So should I get the hare now or maybe later or stick with the snails. Did get 4 turbos.

here are new coarls
Picture2002.jpg

Picture2001.jpg

Picture2004.jpg
What is this called
Picture2003.jpg
would this be aiptasia?

Can't tell from the pics what that is -- sorry. Maybe try taking some more for us?

Sea hares are excellent, but your tank doesn't look like it has nearly enough algae to support one. I think it would starve pretty quickly in your tank unless you fed it seaweed sheets every day. Stick with the turbos you bought for now and see if they make a difference.

You might want to consider buying a cleaner crew online. They are usually cheaper than going through a LFS and you get a variety of snails.

Nice GSP and hairy schrooms!

That fern looking algae is a type of caulerpa.

I bought my clean up crew from eTropical.They have free shipping on build your own and excellent guarantee....good price too.

okay thanks! I picked up 10 Mexican and 5 Margarita snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. Now my coralline algae look much lighter. Will these snails eat all my coralline algae?

yes. I have several mexican turbos and they do eat coralline, but mine seem to prefer green algae. My coralline spreads so fast, they cannot keep up with cleaning it. Not to worry.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Those dont eat coraline.
Whats probably happening is their eatting the light film of algae thats one the rock,making it look like a lighter color.

The margarita snails probably won't last. They are cold water species, usually collected off the coast of the Pacific northwest and just cook in reef tanks. Some people have kept margarita snails for months, but most die within days to weeks. From now on, stick to Mexican turbos and astraeas and avoid the margaritas.

yote, I never like to disagree with you, but I swear, I have patches of coralline missing from the back of my tank. If the turbos aren't eating it, I don't know what is going on. If you could clear that up for me, I would appreciate it my friend.

Do you have any crabs other than hermits in your tank?
I know sally light foots will eat it,and emeralds may.
But I cant argue weather or not turbos will eat coraline.As I have never seen any of mine eat it.But on the other hand,Its hard to tell exactly what their eatting when you have so much coraline.
I guess were stuck on this one Doc.:Cheers:

very interesting the LFS did not mention they were cold water.Was a little worried cuz i wanted to keep algae under control but not eat the coraline..I did notice the film on LR at other side of tank where they must not have bin yet.thank you everyone

Ya, mine didnt either, had like 10 of em die before switching to a different snail. On the other hand, there is still one margarita crawlin around in there, prolly a couple of months now..

I will give this one to you, as usual. You are far more knowledgable in this craft, as well as a far better shot at 1000 yards. :bowdown:

Bottom line is, whether turbos do or don't eat coralline, grow as much of it as possible and you will never care.

Back