snails or sea hare

It will spread relatively quickly (within a couple months) if you keep your calcium levels correct (400 to 450) and your alkalinity good. And if you have good lighting.

it depends on your tank conditions. Mine bloomed in about 6 months and just went crazy. Take a look

P8180015.jpg

It crawled up the backside of my tank and now it is my background. I keep my calcium at 500 and my Kh somewhere between 11-13. I think that is the trick, that and patience.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

thanks. I love my coralline. I thought everyone just ended up with the same stuff, but apparently it is not as easy as I once thought. I am quite proud of my rocks now. I feel bad for Rigo. He tries so hard to get his going and hasn't had a ton of luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thats what I'm looking for!Nice coralline Dr Marco and 2nd the clowns.
Last night got a calcium test and a little embarrassed to say but it was only 275. I added liquid calcium (Kent)by directions1 1/2 caps.should I use something different. I use instant ocean salt mix and thought my calcium might be a little closer to the mark.
Can you raise it to fast?or should I take a week or so to get it up at least over 400.I now have to get a test for my alkalinity.Did get a phos. test it read .1. I have a a sun pod for light ( HQI 2x250 MH)

What kind of corals do you have?
I use Oceanic salt and never had any problems with low calcium untill I started stocking a lot of SPS corals.
Out of the new bucket I just opened,the calcium is like 500 with a DKH of 10.

You can raise it fairly quick,but its better not to.
I personally use SeaChem's Reef Advantage Calcium to maintain my level at as close to 420 as possible.

The Kent calcium you bought should work.Raise it slowly,say over the next week or two.I would also test the calcium the next day after dosing so you don't get a false reading.Also,Instant Ocean is known to have low calcium,maybe on the next batch switch to something else.I used all these salts with great results:Kent Marine,Coralife Scientific and Reef Crystals.Get a alk test as soon as you can,alk and calcium goes hand in hand.Give it some time and coralline will come...best of luck.

yote I have hairy shrooms,GSP, small hammer frag and small colt frag.
I will now get a different salt mix and an alk test.
Thank everyone all bin very helpful!

Those corals that you have shouldn't be depleting calcium very quickly at all. So it was definitely the salt. Once you get it up to a good level, it won't take much at all to maintain it, until you start getting more calcareous corals.

all of you have such awesome display tanks!
can't wait till mine gets to that point but I don't want to rush things only gives way for mistakes or crashes or something to go wrong so it's one step at a time.
I will be working on my calcium and getting a alk test.
thanks for all helpful advice.

awww, don't whimp out til you have killed all your livestock at least twice. Go fast, just ask biff about that. J/K. You are smart to take it slow. I, for one, do not know how to do that. I am planning to set up a tank in one day. I will take lots of photos and post them slowly, just to piss Yote off. But it will be done out of love.

awww, don't whimp out til you have killed all your livestock at least twice. Go fast, just ask biff about that. J/K. You are smart to take it slow. I, for one, do not know how to do that. I am planning to set up a tank in one day. I will take lots of photos and post them slowly, just to piss Yote off. But it will be done out of love.

Just as long as I know you love me Doc,:^:I'll be ok with the slow pic posting.:mrgreen:

actually, Yote, I will start posting tonight. I have the stand ordered, but I have the tank already. I will start my tank thread today. Reef, I expect the same love I have been giving you. It would crush me if I just ended up with 5 or 6 pages. My poor self-esteem couldn't handle that!!!

BTW, Yote, I will always love you...I ain't gonna quit you...wait a minute, this is getting weird.

Last edited:
actually, Yote, I will start posting tonight. I have the stand ordered, but I have the tank already. I will start my tank thread today. Reef, I expect the same love I have been giving you. It would crush me if I just ended up with 5 or 6 pages. My poor self-esteem could handle that!!!

BTW, Yote, I will always love you...I ain't gonna quit you...wait a minute, this is getting weird.

You started it:bounce:I just taggin along:mrgreen:

Back