Snails reproduce FAST

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Man.....I just moved everyone to the 125g a month or so ago, and I'm sure I lost a bunch of baby snails in the process (cuz I did not move the sand)....I found maybe 4 or 5 in the 125 out of the original 15 or so baby snails that actually survived the move (although I keep finding them in my sump!!)....and now, I just found 3 extremely teeny tiny white snails scrawling up my glass (and no doubt into the overflows). That was fast!!! It took almost 10 months for the 45g to show signs of baby snails. They must be happy ;)

good to hear that they are happy... i've recently had a baby snail population explosion in my 75... there's gotta be 100's of em now... and they are all smaller than a pencil eraser...

These may not be baby snails that you guys are talking about. I think it's more likely that they are colonista snails, which are teeny tiny when full grown. They are extremely common -- everyone has them -- they are just hard to see.

Wow....never heard of those....I was looking at pics, and they're patterned...the ones crawling up my glass are plain white....but then again, I saw this on a website:

Collonista amakusaensis is seldom offered by aquarium shops, but is relatively common in marine aquariums since it arrives as a stowaway with live rock and live sand. Many aquarists erroneously believe that these tiny snails are the offspring of larger snails in the aquarium. Amakusaensis snails can live on all sorts of surfaces in the aquarium, from sand and rockworks to glass, plastic and coral.
Hehehehe....still cute though.

Last edited:
I love my collonista snails. They don't knock :pooh: over! I used to be careful not to knock over my turbos but now I find myself hitting them on purpose cuz they make me mad!

Back