Snails Upside Down

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
So I left for work at 5 this morning...and I came home just a couple minutes ago...and about 4 or 5 of my snails are on the gravel, upside down...

I just did all my water tests and everything is reading at 0 and pH is 8.3, and 1.026... they're moving in their shells, but just upside down. I do have a big diatom problem right now and did a 5 gallon water change last night (I have a 55)...

Is there something I'm missing...? I mean, I've had these guys for a couple weeks now.

When I got snails the LFS guy told me they were dumb and that I'd have to flip them over if they fell off the glass.
I did that maybe three times. And then I got tired of it (my tank is deep and I have to get out a step stool to reach the bottom). So I let the crabs have the ones that fell. I still have six or so... and they stay on the glass now.

It's not that they're dumb, all snails can/will fall on their shells. It's just that the way their shells are don't let nerites right themselves like ceriths, Nass, and whelks can.

It's not that they're dumb, all snails can/will fall on their shells. It's just that the way their shells are don't let nerites right themselves like ceriths, Nass, and whelks can.

I know. That's just what he told me. I realized it's just best to know what I want and just smile and nod whatever this guy tells me. The other people that work at the store are knowledgeable... just not him.
I wouldn't be able to flip over if I was shaped like a cone, either.

Back