Snails without shells?

stringztoo

Reefing newb
Ok, so I tried photographing this but everything came out blurry or you couldn't actually see what I'm pointing out so let me describe it:

So I put in a Sailfin Tang into my tank and my Domino Damsel started harassing it so I wanted to catch it and put it down in the refugium. Well I couldn't catch him so I had to remove 2/3rds of my rock and corals to get it. While I was removing the rock I noticed this slug-like animal crawling on the underside of one of the rocks. It was no more than an inch long and looked like a turbo snail without the shell, but it wasn't a snail. It had a "foot" and 2 long antennae/feelers protruding from it's forehead, but I wasn't sure what it was so I left it on the rock.

This morning, (the morning after re-aquascaping my tank), I saw some weird puffs of what looked like light cloudy smoke coming out of one of the rocks. Upon closer inspection it was one of the slug-like things I found yesterday. Within 10 minutes I found 2 more. Two specimens were dark grey and one was very light grey. Each were giving out about 10 little cloudy puffs of... something. Then they went on their way.

I know it isn't a cucumber, sea hare, or nudibranch. It was so weird, 3 of them all puffing for 5-10 minutes.

Google stromatella snail. I am sure that is what you are seeing. They look like slugs. The cloud like thing was probably it releasing either sperm or eggs into the water.

Yup, those be them. Not harmful I assume? I wonder if more will pop up now that there was a snail orgy in my tank this morning...

depends on if there was more than one during the snail orgy... the one snail could have been lonely and just taking out some frustration:D

depends on if there was more than one during the snail orgy... the one snail could have been lonely and just taking out some frustration:D

No, there were 3 distinct puffs of "smoke" in 3 separate locations all around the same time. There's at least 3 in the tank for sure.

Back