snails

poksal

Well? .. I AM trying
Ok.. confession time:
A few weeks ago I was killing snails as fast as I purchased them.. at the time I hadn't purchased a refractometer yet and I was convinced my salinity was ok. Now, I'm gun shy to buy snails. Looking back, my salinity was about 30ppt, at my best guess, during the "snail problem". There wasn't any other related problems with the tests. I had started doing the drip method of introduction to the tank and everything. Does the salinity explain that problem and can I please have snails now? My tank needs snails.. right? I promise my salinity is as dead on 35 as I can read my refractometer.

No.. no copper. at least not detectable.

What kind of snails you ask? ... ummm... pretty much yep. .... species clearly didn't help or matter.

Last edited:
If it was me I would get a few Mexican turbos and see how they do. I add my turbos 2 at a time because they are huge and I figured if they died would mess with the water. I added two a week for three weeks. I didnt lose any...

If it was me I would get a few Mexican turbos and see how they do. I add my turbos 2 at a time because they are huge and I figured if they died would mess with the water. I added two a week for three weeks. I didnt lose any...

I'm at 78° to 79°f.. does that work?

they are fine in that temp. They are a bit of bulldozers but they will eat slime, hair, diatoms...pretty much any algae. I have little frags they are not the ones that knock stuff over its the hermits. As big as they are they are actually almost gentle around corals.

they are fine in that temp. They are a bit of bulldozers but they will eat slime, hair, diatoms...pretty much any algae. I have little frags they are not the ones that knock stuff over its the hermits. As big as they are they are actually almost gentle around corals.

So they are not rock slide causers?

The rock would have to be pretty small and pretty precariously placed for a turbo snail to knock it down. More likely, they will knock over any unsecured coral frags you have sitting on the rocks.

In my opinion turbos are the best snail to have...they work and work and work....not only that but they are fun to watch...I dont really see a down side to them...

If your snails still die, ask the LFS how they acclimate them. If they are acclimated wrong, it can take weeks for the snails to die from internal organ failure. So it might not even be your fault.

If your snails still die, ask the LFS how they acclimate them. If they are acclimated wrong, it can take weeks for the snails to die from internal organ failure. So it might not even be your fault.

good idea but not it.. I had purchased them from two different.. not friendly with each other LFSs. I am planning to buy more this week.. my tank has settled in nicely this last few days.

But that is a great point to remember. I'm thinking to drop one of my LFSs off my buy from list though... I have two more that are allsome and a third being set-up new. for a grand total of four (not counting pet stores) to choose from. The new one and two others are strictly salt water LFSs.

I have four that are within 20 minutes from me that are good stores. And quite a few that are about an hour away. The best that I had ever been to was about an hour and a half away. Unfortunately, they turned from being open to the public to only selling to LFS :( But one of the stores I go to gets their stuff from them. So I guess that is alright.

Oh and none of the chain pet stores around me sell saltwater stuff. From the stories I have heard, I take this as a blessing:mrgreen:

Back