Snakelocks anemone + Pacific cleaner shrimp?

LunaLaFee

Reefing newb
So i ve got this snakelocks anemone (anemonia viridis) and i wonder if it is safe to add a cleaner shrimp.. Will she eat it? I ve never had a cleaner shrimp so i dont know if i can keep one with an anemone and especially snakelocks anemone. Has any1 experienced anything like that?
Thanks in advance.

From what i read they are a cold water Anemone, and require very high intense lighting. As for the shrimp also from what i read they will eat fish and shrimp and any crustaceans. Think you have a 50/50 shot with it imo. Hopefully more will chime in. Got any pics of it? They re really colourful be nice to see it.

my experience the shrimp wont mess with it to much well mine dont but it is a bta..now on the other hand i have seen pics online where the shrimp was resting in the anemone

The cleaner shrimp and nem shouldnt live in the same tank because they have very different temperature requirements. Keeping the nem in the warm water will slowly boil it to death, keeping the cleaner shrimp in the cold water will slowly freeze it to death.

You've heard this advice from us before, but I'm gonna say it again - research before you buy and make sure you can meet the needs of the animals you purchase!

Lysmata amboinensis requires around 22-26 Celsius and anemonia viridis was brought from mediterranean sea (24-28 celsius?). I cant find any webpage with actual requirements of this one but ive kept her before - she's very "adaptable".
if i'll keep the temp. around 25-26 .. will there be any problems ?

And hey.. i didnt buy the shrimp yet.. Im thinking about it and thats why i started this thread..

What i ve got now is:
- amphiprion ocellaris x2
- hermit crab x2
- smooth star coral ( Solenastrea bournoni ) x2
- brittle star x 2
- spaghetti worm x2
- snakelocks anemone ( anemonia viridis ) x1
thats all.

Ive seen cleaner shrimps kept with anemones (in general not snakelocks).

btw! My clownies are curious about her but dont approach .. how can i make them host her?

Washburn82 - i will post some pics tomorrow. :)

I dont know of any method of making clowns host anything, they do or they dont. I had a torch coral and my clowns for a few months, they paid no attention to it. Came home from work one day and they are inseperable now. It just happens, or it doesnt. I wouldnt try forcing anything.

Not all anemones are natural hosts to clowns and simply view them as food. The snakelocks anemone is one of these -- they do not host fish, they only eat them. Since clowns do not come from the same area as that anemone, I doubt there will be any instinct to host it, but if they go near the anemone, there's a good chance it will sting them and eat them. If you want a better chance at an anemone hosting the clowns, you will need to buy an anemone that is naturally found with the clowns, not a cold water anemone from Europe like the snakelocks. From what I read online, they require substantially colder water than a reef tank.

One of my clownies (the girl) approached and got covered with her slime or something..Its 12h now and she's ok..

Its sais in wikipedia that Snakelocks Anemone Husbandry

Snakelock anemones (anemonia sulcata / viridis) are fast becoming a widely kept species in aquaria especially within Europe. It rapidly adapts to aquarium life as they are extremely adaptable to various conditions. Reports stand that clown fish from the subfamily Amphiprioninae in the family Pomacentridae will use this anemone as a mutualistic relationship even though they are found in different ecological or environmental areas.

Wow, does your Viridis look anything like this?
viridis.jpg

or this?
greenviridid.jpg

btw! My clownies are curious about her but dont approach .. how can i make them host her?

Washburn82 - i will post some pics tomorrow. :)

I found my clownies took a couple of days to move into a new anenome mostly. Mind you the last couple I added they dived into straight away. In fact I can only see Fishzilla's nose right now. If I didn't know better I'd think she's being eaten. LOL. Roger an't be seen at all.
Can't wait to see pictures of yours.

Oh and I had some shrimps in my anenome garden and all was well for months, then the shrimps dissapeared. But it could be that they shed and the fish ate them.

Haha Fishzilla and Roger? Cute names :DD
My snakelocks anemone stung both clownies but i guess they are ok. They just went to sleep . :)

So here are the pics! The greenish anemone is the one i have now and the other is the previous one. Which one do u like ... more? :) Need your opinions.

The sponge-pic - i had her before but she s very ver fragile, one wrong move and she s gone and your entire aquarium too. :/ Thinking of adding her once again but sheeeeess dangerous! (aplysina aerophoba) :D - the golden sponge.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 592
  • Untitled-7.jpg
    Untitled-7.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 466
  • Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 6827589614_2b52e8590d (1).jpg
    6827589614_2b52e8590d (1).jpg