Snapping sound??

CDaubs

Reefing newb
I just went through an eight month ordeal of living with and getting rid of a mantis shrimp! Arrgh :frustrat:

So now, last night I hear this snapping sound just like when the mantis was here. It was 2 or 3 snaps in a row and then quiet for a awhile and then again. In my tank thread I described all I went through to get rid of the little monster! Is it possible that I have a pistol shrimp and not another mantis?

I haven't added any more live rock or anything that a new mantis could have traveled in on. What do pistol shrimps sound like? I'm pretty sure I have at least one (small one) in my tank.

If it's several snaps in a row then it's most likely a pistol shrimp. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it annoys you.

I hear snapping in mine all the time :| I had to moved a couple months ago and in the process found a couple more tiny pistol shrimp in the rocks. Those things seem impossible to get rid of. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just went through an eight month ordeal of living with and getting rid of a mantis shrimp! Arrgh :frustrat:

So now, last night I hear this snapping sound just like when the mantis was here. It was 2 or 3 snaps in a row and then quiet for a awhile and then again. In my tank thread I described all I went through to get rid of the little monster! Is it possible that I have a pistol shrimp and not another mantis?

I haven't added any more live rock or anything that a new mantis could have traveled in on. What do pistol shrimps sound like? I'm pretty sure I have at least one (small one) in my tank.

How you get rid of your mantis?

How you get rid of your mantis?

sen5241b;

Well, it wasn't easy. :frustrat:

At first I tried trapping him, but no luck. I even tried living with him because he is quite amazing. The death tool became too high.

What I ended up having to do is a total tear down of my tank, removing absolutely everything out of the tank. I then washed every piece of rock, flushing and scrubbing any little creatures out. I found the mantis left in the tank and caught him with a net. Pretty easy to do with nothing else in there. I couldn't just kill him (even though they are the epitome of evil) so I took him to my LFS where he still lives in solitary confinement.

Good luck if you have one. Mine decimated my population of clean up crew and even attacked my smaller fish, I suspect at night while they were sleeping.

I have a small randalls pistol shrimp, I have never once heard a snapping sound. He is gone for months then shows back up. But he is very small.

Actually it's my understanding that supposedly mantis get large enough to allegedly be able to break glass.

Some people say that a mantis shrimp has a powerful enough strike to crack/break glass. Mantis get quite a bit larger than pistols

Here are a few videos:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9z5e1r2KM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Holding a huge mantis shrimp[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRCQZgVEec&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Mantis Shrimp Striking Glass (First Person View)[/ame]

There is a slight difference in the sound a mantis and a pistol makes.
Mantis make more of a clicking sound where a pistol is more of pop.

Back