snapping sound

tp1011

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I have a 29BC with 20 lbs of LR in it with no fish, from TBS in it and it has been in there about 3 weeks. I hear a snapping sound from my tank any ideas what it could be?

thanks

It could be a pistol or mantis shrimp!
Pistols have a faster, repetitive snapping sound, while mantis' will only make the sound every few seconds.

could be both!
You're almost guaranteed to get some of each. Less chance you have a mantis but still a good chance. The pistols that tend to come with TBS rock are completely harmless and you'll never see them. They stay within the nooks and crannies of the rock. Although with my last batch I did manage to get one of these...
Candy or Blue Leg Pistol shrimp? - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum
Pretty cool but i still haven't gotten a REALLY good look at him yet. They stay pretty hidden in their little burrows under the rock.

If you have a mantis you'll see him come out eventually. They get pretty brave. The only danger with them (besides wanting to keep your fingers away!) is if they get hungry they'll go after your snails. I try to snag them out of the tank when i see them and sell to someone local who wants to keep a species only tank.

Or it could be glass cracking, or the stand giving under load...
Just kidding... but really, check the glass and stand too.

Some powerheads on a wavemaker or timer can make snapping sounds too, as well as surge suppressors/power strips.

I had a candy pistol shrimp and a goby that lived together, it was cool and I got to see the shrimp that way, he would come out and watch the entrance and the goby would dig away. I never heard him snap, but from what I've read it sounds like a pistol or mantis. I've always thought of doing a mantis tank, I think they are cool.

Back