Snot in my Sump?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
There is this weird mucus looking stuff on the surface in my sump. It has been building up for a little while now. I haven't gotten my skimmer skimming efficiently since moving everything from my old 46 gallon to the 50 gallon. I assumed the "scum layer" in the sump was harmless and was just an indication that my skimmer needs some more fine tuning...

Do you all know what this "snot" is? Could it harm anything (like my Blue Kiss zoas that are withering away in the DT)?

DSC03409.jpg

DSC03410.jpg

DSC03411.jpg

It is gross lol. ;) I've added baking soda over the course of the past couple of weeks to bring my Alkalinity up, but that's it. I plan on doing a WC today to suck the snot out, and I'm going to try to get the skimmer working right as well.

Check all of your occupants, maybe one of them has a cold??
Just a suggestion lol! Oh, I would not have put my hand in it
Maybe use a stick or something next time.

the pictures don't really give a good look at it...But is it possible that the water level where the gunk is at is too high, not circulating enough, therefore giving some sort of gunk the ability to multiply because it's not getting sent to the skimmer or wherever it needs to go fast enough?

that would be my guess....My other guess is you've got a pervert in the house.

I dare you one hundred dollars to taste it! :lol:
How many frags will you ship me if I taste it
You all are gross! lol :roll:

the pictures don't really give a good look at it...But is it possible that the water level where the gunk is at is too high, not circulating enough, therefore giving some sort of gunk the ability to multiply because it's not getting sent to the skimmer or wherever it needs to go fast enough?
And, I think you're right PRC (not on the pervert in the house account, but that the water wasn't circulating enough ;)). I've tuned the skimmer to skim wetter, and the "snot" hasn't come back.

The snot is back! :shock: It's come back a few times since October, but only a little bit in the sump. However, two days ago it came completely back (as in my whole sump surface is covered again in "snot"). Any ideas (now that everyone has grown two months wiser ;))?

Just this past week I changed out the purigen, chemi-pure elite, carbon, and filter floss in my sump. I also increased my heater by 2 degrees to keep the tank at 77-78 degrees (I had to increase the heater temperature since its gotten cold here). That's all I've changed lately. I don't know if any of this info helps...

Wow thats wierd, My buddy had the same exact problem with this reef last year, he couldnt figure out what the problem was so he broke down the tank got rid of everything and started over. I hope you find out why and what that stuff is

Back