Snowflake eel ate my Nemo : /

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I've had this eel for about 4 or 5 months now. He was my last fish to add to my tank and I really liked him. He was highly aggressive though and I have gotten bitten by him more times than I'd care to admit.

But I draw the line today. I was moving a new piece of coral in the tank and he did his usual come out to bite me routine. Afterwards he started chasing my clownfish around the tank, cornered him and latched on. I tried to get to him but he disappeared into the rockwork. He stuck his head out later with part of the clown still hanging out, as if to mock me :*(

They aren't supposed to eat fish! I keep him very well fed. I just don't get why he went after him like that.

Good news with him gone I can get a harlequin shrimp to take care of my astrea star problem. Gotta see the silver lining when you can...truth is I'm losing two awesome fish this week.

That sucks, sorry bout your loss, dont think i will ever have an eel, dont like them after many years of diving with em!

=( =(
Super sucks!! Reads like a bit of a devil though. I imagine it is for the best. Just not for your Nemo =(
Sorry for your loss(es).

Sorry to hear :( This hobby is always full of 50/50's...sometimes livestock behaves, sometimes they're total aholes.

Thanks guys : /

Now I'm going fish shopping to replace my losses. What's worse is the kids woke up from their nap and said..where's Nemo? Lol, leave it to them to notice it.

Any suggestions on fish? I was considering something that might school. Like Cardinals or Firefish. I have to get another clown. But I figure the bioload of that eel had to have been huge.

Its not surprising to me. I added a small snowflake to my tank, and he was a NIGHTMARE. I always heard they were somewhat laid back and wouldnt really try to eat fish, but after the first day the snowflake ate both my goby AND pistol shrimp that were paired up. Then he ate my green clown goby. He chased after everything else, like my clowns constantly. And then he decided that he would rather live in the overflow for short periods of time before slithering back into the tank. My god it was a headache. I brought him back to the store.

thats really a bummer to hear... how often and how much did you feed your eel? I've had mine for almost 2 years now and he's never once went out and ate a fish. He's eaten dead fish but never went after my live guys... granted I feed him every other day and until he won't eat anymore but he's just as peaceful as the rest of my fish... they are 50/50 i guess... did you take him back to the LFS?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your clown and the eel with the ahole gene. I hope your kids aren't too heartbroken about Nemo. :sad:

Back