snowflake eel habbits have changed and not eating...

project5k

Reef enthusiast
so since i've moved everyone from my 75 to my 210, my snowflake has been very active... well, thing is that he took a heck of a beating in the move... i tried to scoop him up into a gallon jug, that way he was in water all the time, and that seems to make moving the other fish easier, so i tried it, well just as i cleared the top of the tank with the jug, he jumped up and out and over the back of the tank and down the wall to the hard tile floor... splat... scooped him up in a towel, got him back in a bucket, and let him accilmate to the new thank for a while... put him in and after a day or so he seemed fine, didnt eat, but didnt looked too freaked out...

well, now the last couple days hes been getting more and more active, particularly swimming up and down against the end of the tank...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHi59FaGOmU"]YouTube - Snowflake[/ame]​

so, i'm wondering if he's showing signs of being hurt, or just not being used to the new home yet, or what... he ate 1 krill one time about 2 weeks ago, but hasnt eatn since... i'm putting one drop of the garlic extract in with the 4 or 5 krill i'm preping when i try and feed, but he's just not taking it and this new activity has me worried... for several days before the move he was eating much more regular, anywhere from 3-10 krill a day on average...

anyone got any ideas?

Hehehe...maybe he's trying to get out? Is there a gap in your lid there?

The other fish are like "WTF is your problem ,dood?? We're in a biger tank!!"

Yea he has also done it up the back of the tank where the algae clip is. No there's no gaps in the lids.

Well he's the biggest thing in the tank. I've never seen anyone really picking on him. He's got like 3 different holes he sits in most of the day and then about an hour before lights out he starts doing this.

project, do you only feed him krill? try mixing up his food, he def looks hungry from the video... if I don't feed Kona thats what he does....eels can go without food for 2-3 weeks, I'd try giving him some silversides or calamari or something besides shrimp for the moment, remember they like to mix up the food too! in the wild they eat all sorts of different things and I can almost guarantee he'd like some fish ;) he shouldn't go after your live swimming fish either since there is a distinct smell between dead and live fish...

btw, how big is your eel? He's a cutie :D

I'm headed to the LFS today, i'll get something to change up his diet...

i'd guess he's in the 18 inch neighborhood... about as long as my forearm from knuckels to elbow..

I fed mine pieces of store shrimp. What are you feeding yours?

100_1859.jpg

also remember these guys are nocturnal, he may not have been as active in the smaller tank or you could've not noticed it as much? lol. Kona gets really crazy before "bed time"... he swims most of the night around and in the rocks, hes probably just being an eel but see what the food change does :)

Ok well he allways ate in the afternoon before. It is possible that he was more active at night and I didn't notice it.

Also got some silversides and he sniffed at one and the just ignored it.

Also I used to feed him some cut up chunks of fish I caught at the coast. Then I got turned onto the krill. And then he ate that for months and now???

Maybe I could try and get some shrimp from the store but thing is that my local store's fish department is not open regularly apparently. I was actually was just thinking about just buying a whole fish from the store and filet it myself and see if he'll eat that.

Thats worth a shot Project. Have you thought about heading toward the coast and picking up some live shrimp from one of the shrimp boats?

thought about it, but decided that thats just a bunch of time and gas that i just dont have right now... atleast not for this.. i mean i'm all for doing what i need to do to provide the best home i can, but there are limits.... know what i mean??

hmm, try garlic! LOL. Kona LOOOOVES garlic and thats the only way I can get my newer 6inch baby Kaluha to eat... sometimes they are just picky :p if he likes the krill stick with it! Kona at least loves everything... except muscles and squid for some strange reason...

You could try live shrimp but it raises "hunting" in your tank if you have ornamental shrimp in there... thats why I shy away from live feeding... thankfully kona doesn't really like live food anyways :D

no i dont have any live shrimps just for the reason that i've allways been afraid that he would eat them... well i've seen him attack a couple of the silversides, but i still havent been able to be on both sides of the tank at the same time, so pictures havent happened yet... the one major drawback to a through wall system...

Back