Snowflake eel size and feeding

Amazz

Reefing newb
I have had a snowflake in my 90 gallon tank for at least 6 months. It has grown! I wonder when I should think of removing it because of getting too big. Wish I wouldn't have gotten it but let's just say I know way more now than I knew then. I imagine at some point it may eat my small clowns and flameback angel.

I feed it one or two dime sized pieces of fish every other day. I guess it's about a foot long and the diameter of a Hebrew National skinny hotdog. LOL! I have those in my fridge right now and it's the best way to describe the size.

Am I overfeeding?
Are my fish in imminent danger?
When should I remove it?

I keep my SF in a 75 with quite a few different fish (Anthias,Chromis,frog fish and a blenny). I usually feed my eel every other day. Sometimes every day, it isn't always on the move for food. Your eel may go several days or weeks between feedings. That's normal. My dude shows little or no interest in the other inhabitants of the tank. Yours may differ. Good luck. Post some pics!

So training my dad to feed the eel when I'm on vacation for 10 days is not a necessity? Good to know. It's enough to ask him to put a pinch of pellets and 1/2 gallon of fresh water daily. I'll make sure to feed him a good meal before my trip.

I have had a snowflake in my 90 gallon tank for at least 6 months. It has grown! I wonder when I should think of removing it because of getting too big. Wish I wouldn't have gotten it but let's just say I know way more now than I knew then. I imagine at some point it may eat my small clowns and flameback angel.

*snip*

Tell me about it, I had one in my first tank. When I got him, he couldn't have been more than 3-4" long and about the width of a pencil...if he was that thick. It didn't take long for him grow up and dominate the whole tank. Once he got large enough, he ate EVERYTHING I put in there with him, including a Wolf Eel, Lion Fish, Ribbon Eel, and Scorpion Fish. It was cool to watch him eat, just not all those expensive meals. He would shoot out of my LR and coil around whatever he was being fed like an Anaconda. It got to the point where he was the only thing in my tank for about a year, when he died I just kinda got out of the hobby for a while.

Back