Snowflake eel

I hardly feed my eel half that much in a week and he certainly doesn't looks underfed. :-? But he's alone so I don't have to worry about him getting hungry...

Your guy also looks full grown from the looks of your pic :) when they are small they eat like pigs!

https://www.livingreefs.com/care-and-keeping-snowflake-moray-eel-t23011.html

Smaller side meaning still around 3-4 feet ;) Snowies are AMAZING but don't count on seeing her all the time.... the only reason I see Kona anymore is for food. And let me tell you, they eat... a TON. Kona eats almost daily and thats 10 silversides or so... it may sound like over-feeding but these guys need to be able to grow.... a 30g tank will quickly become too small for yours....

They are SUPER awesome at escaping, i've had 3 that have escaped and kona thankfully has only tried once, got batted around by the declawed cat (lucky for him!), and has never tried again... however he's sure to knock the top off if he doesn't get his nightly feeding.

I would avoid the freeze dried krill and feeding by hand... If you do that you're training the eel that hand=food. ALWAYS. If you don't have food everytime you put your hands in the tank, you're gonna get bit (and it hurts, it's like meeting 20+ needles in a finger). I feed kona everything by tweezer so he only comes up to "greet" me when those are in the tank, otherwise he leaves my hands alone. Try feeding her some squid and silversides and watch her go.. heck, even some real crab now and again, oh man. they LOVE it :)

Hopefully your rocks are on the bottom of the glass and are either tied together or impossible to move... eels have SUPER strength and will cause a rock slide no problem, she's burrowing because she's making tunnels and "caves" for her to move about your tank without your detection.

if ya need any help or have any questions about eels i LOVE talkin' about them :) I've had 4 and they have all been awesome :)

Hey thanks for the advice, and yeah I don't see her very much but once in a while she will swim the length of the tank 10-15 times and go back under her rock. As far as the hand feeding is concerned, I usually dangle whatever I am feeding her by the tail and drop it in as she comes up to grab it. I haven't got bit yet but I'll be sure to be careful. She accepted the krill once or twice but now she wont take it, even if I leave it in there so I am wondering if she was really hungry and hates krill. I'll try silverslides this week and see if she will accept them. My rocks are settled in the sand but there aren't any on top of eachother, just a few at the bottom. I'm not gonna worry about it because she has a piece of PVC to hide in and some rocks to burrow around so she has plenty of choices for now, but soon enough she will find a new home in a 55 gallon. You've had 4 eels does that mean you keep getting them and adding them or they have died or got too big and found new homes?

Most of my eels were SUPER tiny when I first had them... my first snowie burton, no matter my method of eel proofing the tank always wound up on the floor and he got out while I was away and died :( The 2nd one was a small chain link that outgrew it's tank and went to a friend and then the 3rd was a small zebra eel (kaluha) that came in some ladys live rock she ordered and she wanted it O.U.T. OUT. lol it was the funniest experience... he was only about 4" long at that point and he never really adjusted to tank life... had him for about a year and he just never did do go. one morning i found him just curled up on the sandbed passed away :C So currently Kona is my only eel I have right now and he's in the 75

I love mine, I just hope she stays comfy for a few more months so I don't have to move her. She usually just hides under her rock now but that's okay with me, she will be getting a tank mate (VERY young lionfish) for the time being, and when they both outgrow the tank they will go in a new 55 gal.:helm2:

I love mine, I just hope she stays comfy for a few more months so I don't have to move her. She usually just hides under her rock now but that's okay with me, she will be getting a tank mate (VERY young lionfish) for the time being, and when they both outgrow the tank they will go in a new 55 gal.:helm2:

That's funny you're getting exactly what I am getting, a snow flake and lion. What type of lion?

I'm trading my 3 unicorns for either a volitan lion or snow flake, so I'm not even sure how big they will be, but I'm sure they'll be small.

That's funny you're getting exactly what I am getting, a snow flake and lion. What type of lion?

I'm trading my 3 unicorns for either a volitan lion or snow flake, so I'm not even sure how big they will be, but I'm sure they'll be small.

At first I really wanted a fuzzy dwarf, but yesterday my LFS had a baby volatian lion. The baby lion was smaller than the dwarf, so I may get him and then either transfer to my 55 when I get it, or just do a trade in for a smaller fish. She said I would have a few months at least which is all I need.

On a side note - my eel still wont eat krill! ugh trying silverslides today.

the volatian will end up much larger than the dwarf, they need to be in 70+ tanks. I would stick with the dwarf if you are going to keep with the 55 tank.

At first I really wanted a fuzzy dwarf, but yesterday my LFS had a baby volatian lion. The baby lion was smaller than the dwarf, so I may get him and then either transfer to my 55 when I get it, or just do a trade in for a smaller fish. She said I would have a few months at least which is all I need.

On a side note - my eel still wont eat krill! ugh trying silverslides today.

Where are you located in NY??

I would kill for a Fu Man Chu Lion (hence my username lol) but I hear they're not the easiest of fish to take care of.

Ah okay, I'm in Long Island, but I went to high school in Middletown... I might have a 55g for you.

You selling your tank? Or you mean you have an empty one? Or you mean you know a good one for me to buy? Or do you possibly mean that you have 55 gallons worth of water that you don't need anymore? :p

You selling your tank? Or you mean you have an empty one? Or you mean you know a good one for me to buy? Or do you possibly mean that you have 55 gallons worth of water that you don't need anymore? :p

lol I have two tanks, my 350g has a 90g sump and my 220g has a 55g sump, we're selling the 220g and the grouper that's in it is ready to go soon, and so is the tank leaving us with a 55g laying around, since I already have a 75g laying around waiting for me to do something with I might as well get rid of the 55g, so if you're interested it's yours.

lol I have two tanks, my 350g has a 90g sump and my 220g has a 55g sump, we're selling the 220g and the grouper that's in it is ready to go soon, and so is the tank leaving us with a 55g laying around, since I already have a 75g laying around waiting for me to do something with I might as well get rid of the 55g, so if you're interested it's yours.

How much are you asking for it?:bounce:

Back