So I attempted to Drill my tank ...

Hornet

Reefing newb
And it was a success! :^:

I've been putting off drilling my tank for quite a bit. Today after work I checked my measurements, got my stuff together, drank 1 beer and commenced to drill. The first hole took me a long time because I was so nervous. I time the second hole and it took me just over 15 minutes.

Both holes came out basically perfect. I duct taped a piece of scrap plywood to the back of the drill spots and I had 0 chip-out. Here is a couple of pics:

Hornet0001_1.jpg

Hornet0001_2.jpg

Last edited:
WOW great job. Drilling a hole in glass is not something everyone can do. Props for the great work!!!

That dessert looks delicious!

I would never try drilling something with thin glass. The 1/2" thick glass my 150H tank went rather well once I got a groove started

I know how you feel the first time is scary as hell, but you did a great job!

Thin glass just means you get through faster. The first tank I drilled was a 10 gal, and the one and only tank I have ever busted while drilling was a 55, but it was tempered and not my fault.LOL

From what I've been reading a lot of people have trouble drilling a 10 gal since there so thin.

I'm going to drill a 50 gal for my sump so I assume that will go a little faster.

Good job! I'm getting ready to drill my 180 Ive just been waiting because I was afraid but eh what the hell!

LOL, that's the exact way I felt.

I've been re-measuring the placement of holes for my overflow for at least the past 2-weeks. I finally said screw it and just did it.

I watched various youtube videos on drilling tanks about 2 or 3 times. Just before I drilled the first hole I watched the glass-holes video on drilling 1 more time.

I did the measuring for the rest of my holes in the back glass tonight. I'll re-measure everything again tomorrow and I might start drilling the rest of them.

Hornet, do you think that a tank could be drilled on a verticle surface, with constant water running of course, I cant find anybody to help me turn my 180 on its face and was wondering since you just did it horizontally what your opinion is?

Zoakeeper, I used the same bits that RyanG posted. I also got them from glass-holes. I purchased the 1500 gph kit and that came with the bit for the 1 1/2" bulkhead then I bought the bits for 1" and 2" bulkheads seperately. No drill press I just used my cordless drill and set the clutch to about 4. That was kinda useful because if pressed to hard the clutch would kick in letting me know.

Hornet0001.jpg

RyanG, I think you can drill it vertically. There is a video on youtube showing a guy drilling the tank full so I see no reason it can't be done.

Cool video. I figured I wouldn't drill mine since it is already full. I don't know how it might be if anything got in the water though. But I would sure like to put an overflow box in the tank and not have it be a hang on box.

Ryan, how are you going to drill your 180? Do you have a diagram or something?

I'm just curious about where your placing the overflow and closed loop returns.

Great pics. and great info. A guy here in towwn has a 240 for cheap. but its not drilled. I dont believe the bottom of a tank that big would be tempered, so I want to drill it myself. I'll see what happens. Thanks for the link on:bowdown: bits also.

Zoakeeper you should still try to figure out what brand of tank it is any way and look it up on the manufacturers website. I just checked the links I had for perfecto and AGA/aqueon and they don't show a 240 std. tank

Back