So I attempted to Drill my tank ...

Great pics. and great info. A guy here in towwn has a 240 for cheap. but its not drilled. I dont believe the bottom of a tank that big would be tempered, so I want to drill it myself. I'll see what happens. Thanks for the link on:bowdown: bits also.

I don't know if I would chance it unless I knew for sure it wasn't tempered. Hornet is right, it would be good to find out the manufacturer so you don't wind up with fragments.

Hornet if you look in my tank build you can see how the tank is already drilled. Im just going to add a 2" intake for my closed loop on the lower part of the back wall.

Zoakeeper, you dont HAVE to drill the bottom of the tank for a reef ready type of setup. You could drill the back for either a Calfo or external style overflows. IMO they look nicer anyways.

You can drill virtical with running water, but you would still have to move the tank so you dont get the water all over your floor. Drill for the first time is very scary, but anyone can do it just take your time, keep it cool and wet.

A cheap place to get the bits is off of ebay from a seller named lau (I think thats the name) Any way I bought three from him so far and they all work great. The bit for a 1 inch hole was 10.00 shipped to me and the two bits that do 3/4 inch holes were 10.00 shipped to me for both of them together.

Hornet if you look in my tank build you can see how the tank is already drilled. Im just going to add a 2" intake for my closed loop on the lower part of the back wall.

So you just bought the complete set of bits for future plans?

Yeah I have some other stuff that I can do with them. I need to do some tiling work and some of the panels in the greenhouse need a couple of holes. Im going to be doing some work on the 75 gallon sump for the 180 and Ive got a 90 gallon tank that Janell(my SO) wants to set up as a lionfish tank.

Back